Menu

Halycon, other plant based/raw food eaters

I'm looking for some good links for recipes, blogs and ideas. My best friend and I have been juicing a lot lately and are looking to transition our families to a more plant-based eating plan. I am reading and googling to get ideas but there's so much to sort through I thought I would ask for some suggestions. We are particularly interested in some lunch ideas for on the go for adults and kids. She has one child in school and even though I homeschool I do it at our small business so I need to bring lunch and snacks with us every day.

Also, I would love suggestions on a good blender for smoothies. I have a very old blender that works but it has the shortest chord imaginable and part of the top is missing so I have to hold something over it so it won't squirt smoothie all over my ceiling. I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade.

I use my Vitamix SEVERAL times a day. I bought the extra 32 ounce pitcher also. I only have a sec right now but search for vegan blogs.

SOme things I eat daily are:

Green smoothies

homemade veg/bean burgers

Raw salads of chopped veggies and roasted nuts

I'm not a juicer because I prefer the whole food approach, but that's just me.

My favorite hot meal is quinoa or brown rice and beans, with roasted veg puree. I roast a butternut, carrot, sweet potatoes with EVOO salt and pepper. Then puree wtih a little broth and pour over. I even make a mac n "cheese" for the kids with this and a little parmesan.

And my favorite seasoning is Vogue Veg base, which I add to the above recipe and just about anything savory!

I also love black bean and sweet potato wraps. I go through phases with those and eat them like 3 times a day

ETA: Also, I find a lot of good veggie inspiration in the Moosewood cookbooks.

I use my Vitamix SEVERAL times a day. I bought the extra 32 ounce pitcher also. I only have a sec right now but search for vegan blogs.

SOme things I eat daily are:

Green smoothies

homemade veg/bean burgers

Raw salads of chopped veggies and roasted nuts

I'm not a juicer because I prefer the whole food approach, but that's just me.

My favorite hot meal is quinoa or brown rice and beans, with roasted veg puree. I roast a butternut, carrot, sweet potatoes with EVOO salt and pepper. Then puree wtih a little broth and pour over. I even make a mac n "cheese" for the kids with this and a little parmesan.

And my favorite seasoning is Vogue Veg base, which I add to the above recipe and just about anything savory!

ETA: Also, I find a lot of good veggie inspiration in the Moosewood cookbooks.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to checking these out. Since you use the large blender to you store the smoothies and drink later and if so how. Refridgerator, freezer?

Actually the 32 ounce pitcher is the smaller one, the one it usually is advertised wtih is the 64 ounce. I don't likle to really store them, but one thing I do is make ahead yogurt drink for the kids. Kind of like those rip off organize yogurt drinks....

Puree a bunch of berries with a bit of honey, store in a mason jar in fridge for up to a week. If we are on the go, dump half that, and half yogurt and shake it up.

If you add frozen stuff to a smoothie sometimes storing doeson't turn out so well.

I second getting a Vitamix (or Blendtec).

Here are some of my favorite sites:

theppk.com

vegandad.blogspot.com

happyherbivore.com

engine2diet.com

This is a good kid-friendly one:

veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

That's what I can think of for now. :)

I will check these out also. I almost bought the engine2 book before I bought the Idiot's Guide to Plant Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever. I saw both recommended on the website for Forks over Knives. I still might get it after I finish the Idiot's Guide.