Menu

High school program for a miserable DD

I have a step daughter who is miserable in PS high school. She has had a few medical issues in the last two years and the kids are making fun of her for it. She is failing most of her classes. She has also had two teachers fired because of poor classroom management and belittling the students.

My husband has asked me to research out five different plans for her next year. Dh and I both feel it is important she has an accredited high school transcript. I Know there are a lot of options us. DD doesn't have very good study habits so she'll need my help and a teacher watching too.

High school is new to me. Ds is only in the 4th grade. I've taught up to 6th in the classroom and tutored up through high school. Can anyone give me a few suggestion on how to start looking? Dd is begging for help.

Which state are you in (assuming you're in the US)? Do you want a secular program? Are you looking for a college prep program, or just something to get her through high school?

If you're in a state that offers a virtual charter high school, then that might be an option. In that case, the student is still a public school student, but doing their work at home with the oversight of a teacher. A couple of links to check:

Connections Academy

K12 online public schools (states are listed near the bottom)

There are loads of other regionally accredited options, depending on what you're looking for in a high school. Here are just a handful...

American School of Correspondence

University of Nebraska High School

Seton Home Study School (Catholic)

Oak Meadow High School

Lastly, another option would be to choose her courses from separate course providers.

Hopefully, that gets you started!

:grouphug: Welcome and encouragement to you! There are lots of wise and compassionate ladies on this board, so I know you'll receive lots of good thoughts here. :)

I have a step daughter who is miserable in PS high school. She has had a few medical issues in the last two years and the kids are making fun of her for it. She is failing most of her classes. She has also had two teachers fired because of poor classroom management and belittling the students.

My husband has asked me to research out five different plans for her next year. Dh and I both feel it is important she has an accredited high school transcript. DD doesn't have very good study habits so she'll need my help and a teacher watching too.

If you could answer a few questions, that would allow people to give you more specific help. :)

1. Where are you located (US or other country; and if US, which state)?

Knowing this makes a difference in what your course requirements are, and what helps are available to you.

2. What grade is DD currently in? How old is she and what is her birth month?

Knowing this can help us see how much flexibility you have and how much time you have (for example if she is a young 9th grader, I'd suggest just scratching this year off the books, and starting fresh in the fall with high school. If she is an older 10th or 11th grader, then you have fewer options and your goal is going to have to be: how to get through the required credits in the time left).

3. What are the 5 plans your DH is having you research? Or does he mean, he'd like to have you do research and come up with 5 possible plans from which to choose?

4. Does DD have any specific career goals or general field of interest at this time that she would like to pursue after high school?

Knowing this will allow people to suggest materials, extracurriculars, etc. that will best prepare DD for her next step after high school.

5. What do you mean when you say: "DD doesn't have very good study habits so she'll need my help and a teacher watching too."

Not trying to be dim or snarky, but I don't understand -- how does a "teacher" come into your plans if you are homeschooling??

6. You mentioned you have several specific needs/wants (accredited high school degree; materials to help DD with study skills; helps for you as you have not homeschooled high school before) -- anything else?

Just to get you started, I would first suggest you and DH look at what an accredited diploma is -- and isn't -- to see if that is really needed here. In this thread "High School Diploma", lots of people weighed in with experiences about the need or lack of need of an accredited diploma.

Briefly: there are a few situations in which an accredited diploma is required, but the vast majority of the time it is not needed. Accreditation provides YOU with accountability -- but it also costs you money to pay for the service. It does not teach your classes for you or provide you with materials; and many accreditation companies or "umbrella schools" limit you in what materials you may use in homeschooling. There is also some concern rising in homeschooling circles as to what happens when some of the small family owned/operated accreditation companies close their doors, as far as your transcript availability. To make an informed decision, I encourage you to read through the thread I linked above, and especially the articles I linked in this post in that above thread; list the pros and cons for YOUR family, and then decide if you want to go with an accredited diploma or not.

It is important to make that decision FIRST, as so many other decisions -- what classes, what materials, etc. will depend on what you decide about accreditation.

Again, welcome to the high school board, and BEST of luck to your family as you think through this decision, and also wishing you the best in finding the high school path that works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA: And I just saw Sailmom's post, with great ideas for possible transitions from public school to schooling at home. Again, first decide on accreditation, as it will determine whether or not some of those suggestions will be options for you or not. :)

Edited by Lori D.

Thank you for responds. We are in Texas. We are looking for college prep. She's scheduled to take physics, algebra 2, English 3 and USA history next year. What happens if she's stuck and I am too? What programs provide support for things like Algebra 2? DD is young 10th grader. DD will currently graduate at 17. She was also premature. She was born at 28 weeks. We talked last night about repeating the 10 th grade.

The 5 plans include private school and private tutors. At this point I'm not sure her mom will let me homeschool. My husband and his parents are very much for it. Dd will got to college. At this point she's clueless to career goals. She's talked about nursing. Thank you for your help so far.

Edited by jayb842

You didn't mention whether you want secular or if religious is okay - and if so what religion. :tongue_smilie: But Seton Home Study might be a good option as she would have lesson plans she can follow herself and also have teachers she can call for help - it's also accredited. If she goes that route, I would recommend "repeating" 10th grade as the extra time will help her both academically and emotionally. The past two years were probably awful for her. Good for you for looking for options to get her out of there. :grouphug:

If her mom is definitely against homeschooling, the school's virtual option might be the least objectionable. I think the main thing is to get her out of her current situation asap so she can begin to heal and move forward.

Ideas for your DD

1.Local private school - if one is available, acceptable and affordable.

2.Local Charter school - if one is available and acceptable.

3.Texas Virtual Academy - online charter school ( k12)-

4. Online private school - keystone, Laurel Springs School, etc.

5. Online University based high school program- University of Texas at Austen High school program, Indiana University High School, University of Oklahoma High School, etc.

Dh and I both feel it is important she has an accredited high school transcript.

Just want to make sure you realize that materials are not accredited, schools are. And I've never heard of a homeschool going thru the accreditation process, so you will likely need to go through some sort of "school" or "group" that can grant the diploma from their accredited organization, if that is what you feel is important. Very few of us here worry about accreditation (some of us were running away from those types of requirements!), but there are some who do and go through programs like those listed by sailmom & HSmomNY.

Julie

My daughter's are currently enrolled in Malibu Cove High School and we're very happy with their curriculum and services. My younger daughter was struggling so much in public school so we pulled her out and after we started homeschooling her she became so much more self confident and her grades went up from D's to A's and B's! They are accredited and in fact, my older one has already begun applying at colleges and we've had no problems whatsoever with transcript acceptance.