Menu

Does this Algebra program exist? xpost from logic board

Dd is ready for Algebra next year. We've been using MUS for the last 3 years and love the mastery approach, but she is interested in a STEM career and I'm not sure it is enough. Ds supplements MUS with LOF and that works great, but dd isn't a LOF person.

What we like and want in a math course:

Mastery based

Plenty of review

I like video lessons, but she doesn't use the ones with MUS, I teach it, so I guess it isn't critical

We're not interested in a spiral program. She used a spiral math in ps and while her grades were good, her understanding and confidence were terrible. I'm also not interested in TT. That wouldn't be a step up from MUS. Also, she likes interaction with people, not computers. I don't think anything computer based would be a good option.

I bought Lial's. I tried BCM with ds, not a hit. I looked at Algebra for dd, but there isn't enough review.

Jacobs looks like fun to me and I think ds would like it, but not dd.

I see great reviews of Foerster's but there are no samples online and I don't know if it has enough review.

Someone tell me if this algebra program exists, please!

Edited by Momto2Ns

I love Foerster's. We just did odds or evens for each section and ALL the word problems. The TM gives homework assignments and has the student do a certain number from the current section and a certain number from previous sections (for review). DVDs are available through Math without Borders. We didn't use them, but if you search, you will find several threads. Here's one:

Math Without Borders CD/Foerster's - A mini review

Foerster's will prepare her well for STEM. We used MUS from K through Algebra. I loved it for elementary, but I would not recommend it in high school in preparation for a STEM major.

HTH!

May I gently refer you back to your own post? You've been using MUS. It is working well for your student. It has everything you are looking for in a math program. . .

IMHO: You should stick with MUS. It is enough. Really. Even for STEM. Even for strong math students.

We will be using MUS through pre-calculus. Oldest DD is in Algebra 2, having used MUS all the way from Foundations (yes, the old MUS). I have 2 engineering degrees, DH has a degree in architecture. We think MUS is enough. We keep gaining insight into how math works from Steve Demme. DH has been known to stomp around the room asking why HE was never taught that nugget of information when he was in school.

The grass may always seem greener but have you noticed how well your own grass is growing?

:grouphug:

Pegasus

Pegasus,

As you can see in my sig, I have one child continuing with MUS. I wasn't thrilled with algebra, but that child supplements with LOF. Dd doesn't like Steve Demme. She won't watch the videos because I always have to re-teach after them anyway, so I just teach the whole thing. I am not mathy. It is working, but I would say barely. She does need more challenge and she doesn't like Fred :glare:.

I'm really trying to find a better fit for her. MUS and Fred fit DS. She needs a math that is her own.

Bob Jones Algebra 1 is "mastery."

There's about 8-10 review questions at the end of each lesson and there's a review at the end of each chapter.

As I'm sure you know, DVD's or online lectures are available.

Text is clean and easy on the eyes - not too cluttered.

You can see the TOC and a sample chapter here: http://www.bjupress.com/product/273706?path=1504

I really like Jacobs and Kinetic Books.

Jacobs is a great text-based program. The first set in every lesson is review. The 2nd and 3rd sets are both the same problems, just with different numbers/formulas/equations, so you assign one and keep the other as a backup in case the lesson needs to be redone. The 4th set is an optional brainteaser.

Kinetic Books is done on the computer. If you get the homeschool program, the whole thing is broken down into lessons with an introductory video for each lesson and automatic grading. If you get the regular program, you don't get the introductory videos and while you do get scoring on each page, you have to look at each individual page to see the score. I have only used the regular program because they didn't introduce the homeschool version until after I bought Algebra II. There are cumulative reviews at the end of some of the chapters. I love the immediate feedback.

My youngest is not as mathematically inclined as my older two. She won't do a math program on the computer and for a text, she needs something that has black print on white paper with plenty of white space and space to work the problem in the book. MUS is one of the few programs that actually fits her requirements. She HATES Steve Demme and never understood anything from the videos, so I have to teach her each lesson.