Menu

Sonlight G, H, or W advice

I was going to buy core G, prob. pieced together but now I'm not so sure. My son will be in 7th grade soon. He did ancients with SOTW 1 when he was 6, which I doubt he remembers. Then we did some of HOD's CTC ancient program in 5th grade. We did not finish it. Now he's on the tail end of 6th grade and I've been reading Mystery of History 1 out loud for several months. I also have him reading a chapter of SOTW 1 a day. However, history can sometimes be skipped depending on how busy our day is.

I was going to do SL core G, but now I'm not sure. Since he's already done some ancient, and we've done some early American, but not anything in between ancient or early american, what would be best? We've also not completed any modern history. I'd love to do Core G, but I'm not sure we could finish it all. Because we are hit and miss, I have concerns that the work load would be too much for us. He's my procrastinator.

Is the 2nd part of core G what I really need to fill in the gaps? I'm not sure how much they are getting by my reading aloud MOH...and that is all I have been doing, no mapping, etc. I really want him to be able to understand history from some great books, but I wasn't sure if Sonlight did that from their readers, or if most of the history knowledge was from the spines.

Any suggestions?

Alison

Is the 2nd part of core G what I really need to fill in the gaps? I'm not sure how much they are getting by my reading aloud MOH...and that is all I have been doing, no mapping, etc. I really want him to be able to understand history from some great books, but I wasn't sure if Sonlight did that from their readers, or if most of the history knowledge was from the spines.

Any suggestions?

Alison

SL readers definitely help with historical understanding. The historical fiction gives an understanding of the period that we just don't get from reading a history text book - even one as good as SOTW.

My thoughts are that you could either continue with MOH 2 so you get the next time period or you could go ahead and do G, but go light on the early part of the Core. Skip a bit so you get to the second half early and have time to go through it more slowly and not get behind if you miss some days :).

SL readers definitely help with historical understanding. The historical fiction gives an understanding of the period that we just don't get from reading a history text book - even one as good as SOTW.

My thoughts are that you could either continue with MOH 2 so you get the next time period or you could go ahead and do G, but go light on the early part of the Core. Skip a bit so you get to the second half early and have time to go through it more slowly and not get behind if you miss some days :).

Thank you. I was really needing to hear something positive about the readers. Do you consider any of them really intense for more sensitive kids?

I think I'll go with G and skip portions, then use it with my next kiddos.

There are definitely some that might be a little rough for sensitive readers. It seems like there was just a discussion of which ones recently, but I can't find it to link to.

Mara, Daughter of the Nile is the one that comes to my mind first. She is whipped almost to death. If you're skipping some Ancient history, that might be a good one to pass by :).

If you go on the SL boards for the specific core (you either have to have a membership or you can sign up for a trial subscription), you will find lists people have made as to which books might need a pre-read and why.

My boys have really enjoyed SL. We have used Cores G and are currently in H. They love it and so do I. SL is most definitely the best part of our day! Some of the readers and read alouds can be 'heavy', but these things lead to discussion and why we belief what we belief. KWIM?