Menu

LOF Pre-Alg or something else?

Ds11 is doing Saxon 7/6, doing fine. He was also doing LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals, and flew through those. I thought I'd let him start LOF Pre-Alg since that's what comes next, and see how he did. (Still doing Saxon 7/6 at the same time.)

He hates LOF Pre-Alg, not because of the math, but because of all the biology and chemistry mixed in. It's getting into stoichiometry now, and he gets bogged down in that and wastes time and doesn't get to the math parts, which he likes. He doesn't want to keep doing this book, but I like that he's doing pre-algebra and I'd like to keep him doing that as long as it's not frustrating him.

Would it work to have him just do the math chapters of the LOF, skipping the science ones? I'm afraid he'll miss some math along the way somewhere if he does that.

Or is there some other pre-algebra book that would work as kind of a light intro for a younger student? Something that would seem like a fun extra, rather than like more work? That's what I liked about LOF.

How about if you reassure him that the bio questions won't count against him on the bridges... He should read the material, but not fuss over mastering, for example, stoichiometry, if that is bogging him down?

Between the two pre-algebra books (pre-algebra with economics comes next, and ramps up the algebra skills pace a bit, while continuing to review fractions, decimals, Percents, order of operations, etc) he'll be algebra ready if he finishes both.

Stoichiometry can be tricky even for those who enjoy it. It's fine to give him a "taste" and then let him move on. Better than developing a loathing of it, with at least one chemistry course upcoming. :001_smile:

Stoichiometry can be tricky even for those who enjoy it. It's fine to give him a "taste" and then let him move on. Better than developing a loathing of it, with at least one chemistry course upcoming. :001_smile:

Oh, definitely! I actually tried to explain it to him, b/c I do find it kind of fun and he generally likes science, but he was practically in tears. I don't mind him skipping that stuff, as long as no math gets skipped with it.

My experience with LOF Pre-Algebra is that it is not a complete program. Perhaps your child has a stronger foundation (using Saxon) going in than we did, but after going through the book my son was not prepared for algebra.

I see LOF as supplemental and fun. My son loves it, but it's just not complete. I do think that Dr. Schmidt's take on conversion factors is very helpful, and there are other ways he comes at problems from a different angle too.

My 2 cents!

I see LOF as supplemental and fun. My son loves it, but it's just not complete. I do think that Dr. Schmidt's take on conversion factors is very helpful, and there are other ways he comes at problems from a different angle too.

I agree. That's what I want right now, a fun supplement.