Menu

I have decided to start at CC.

LuvingLife

I have made a tough decision, but over much thought and prayer have come to terms wit my choice although it hasn't been an easy ride. Now that I know where I am going, all that needs to be done is deciding between all the great choices that my school offers. I have narrowed it down to a small list, if you all could help me with maybe picking one?

Here is the list:

Medical assisting

Medical Billing and Coding

Medical Administration

Surgical Tech

Xray tech

A few others as well, but i am most interrsted in these fields, I would just like to know the nqture of the jobs, job outlooks, and possibly even pay. I would prefer a job that pays well and is flexible. Sorry for short and messy post, trying to do it on smart phone. Will try on computer tomorrow, and thank you!

One thing you might like to think about is your potential work environment. Do you need to be able to get up and move around during the day or will you not mind being at a desk or computer most of the time? Do you need to talk to people frequently or are you happier working quietly at a task by yourself? Do you like to work where there are windows or are you ok in an interior room deep in the building? Does the lighting affect your mood?

Another consideration is the job prospects in your area. They may be better or worse for one or other of your choices. Do you want to continue to live near your family or are you willing to relocate? Is there a particular area where you would like to live? How many jobs in your field exist there? (For example, my son was/is a plumber. He would be able to work in a rural community, if he wished. On the other hand, as an engineer, he has to be where there are engineering companies and it would be much harder to work full time from a rural area without a long commute at least part of the time. Do any of your jobs require that you live near a major hospital? That is something to consider.

You might also think about the whom you are going to be interacting with most. With medical billing, will it mostly be irate customers? With xray tech, will it mostly be people who are sick and in distress? With surgical tech, will it mostly be with other medical personel? Will it bother you, if you are in billing, to have to tell poor people they owe money? Or will it mostly be a matter of helping them find ways of not owing money (like insurance)? (I'm making ALL this up since I'm not familiar with the job descriptions, but you get the idea...) Will it matter to you, day in and day out, whether the people you are helping are generally upset or sick or panicky or angry or just ordinary?

What do people with those jobs physically do all day? Sit at a desk? Run errands? Talk to people? Work on the computer? Answer the phone?

Sometimes it is those sorts of things that make the difference between liking a job and not liking a job.

You are wise to be asking for advice from people who have done these jobs!

Nan

One thing you might like to think about is your potential work environment. Do you need to be able to get up and move around during the day or will you not mind being at a desk or computer most of the time? Do you need to talk to people frequently or are you happier working quietly at a task by yourself? Do you like to work where there are windows or are you ok in an interior room deep in the building? Does the lighting affect your mood?

Another consideration is the job prospects in your area. They may be better or worse for one or other of your choices. Do you want to continue to live near your family or are you willing to relocate? Is there a particular area where you would like to live? How many jobs in your field exist there? (For example, my son was/is a plumber. He would be able to work in a rural community, if he wished. On the other hand, as an engineer, he has to be where there are engineering companies and it would be much harder to work full time from a rural area without a long commute at least part of the time. Do any of your jobs require that you live near a major hospital? That is something to consider.

You might also think about the whom you are going to be interacting with most. With medical billing, will it mostly be irate customers? With xray tech, will it mostly be people who are sick and in distress? With surgical tech, will it mostly be with other medical personel? Will it bother you, if you are in billing, to have to tell poor people they owe money? Or will it mostly be a matter of helping them find ways of not owing money (like insurance)? (I'm making ALL this up since I'm not familiar with the job descriptions, but you get the idea...) Will it matter to you, day in and day out, whether the people you are helping are generally upset or sick or panicky or angry or just ordinary?

What do people with those jobs physically do all day? Sit at a desk? Run errands? Talk to people? Work on the computer? Answer the phone?

Sometimes it is those sorts of things that make the difference between liking a job and not liking a job.

You are wise to be asking for advice from people who have done these jobs!

Nan

Nan, you make many excelllent points that I didn't even consider! I like to be up and moving, I hate being still but I can remain still if I needed to. I would prefer to live in the country and I would be willing to travel to work in the city or suburban area. I enjoy working with people as well as indepently, I don't enjoy working with people in distress, so Xray tech might not be a wise choice. I have a strong stomach so I can work well with an operating team, I am a fast processor of information, and I enjoy accomplishing tasks.

I am going to try to find people in the field I can shadow to get an idea of some of the work. My dad is having me help him with his work and I enjoy it immensely (he is a medical biller and coder).

Thank you so very much Nan, your advice is always so helpful to me!!:001_smile:

Does your local cc have career aptitude testing and counseling? I would recommend that before committing to any one path. Most of the academic programs have the same basic requirements, so you should have time before you have to decide - or maybe you need to apply for that program specifically. I'd talk with an academic adviser at the cc. If you're trying to avoid a stressful job, I'd be sure to let the academic adviser and/or career counselor know.

Have you researched requirements and prereqs for each program.?

I work with cc students who are taking prereqs for allied health sciences. The admission to those programs are very competitive, and most students have the general courses (English, math, etc.) and science prereqs (A & P, chemistry) completed before they apply for admission to their programs. If the programs are similarily competitive at your cc, just look at courses that are common to all (or most) and work at getting them completed. This will give you some more time to explore all your options. Also, at my cc, students can apply to more than 1 program, and then choose between the programs they are accepted into. Starting out in the general prereq courses will also give you time to make friends with other health occupations students and you can get more info about the programs.

Best wishes.

Does your local cc have career aptitude testing and counseling? I would recommend that before committing to any one path. Most of the academic programs have the same basic requirements' date=' so you should have time before you have to decide - or maybe you need to apply for that program specifically. I'd talk with an academic adviser at the cc. If you're trying to avoid a stressful job, I'd be sure to let the academic adviser and/or career counselor know.[/quote']

:iagree:

A career aptitude test would reveal jobs/occupations for the OP based on her likes/dislikes and interests.

Does your local cc have career aptitude testing and counseling? I would recommend that before committing to any one path. Most of the academic programs have the same basic requirements' date=' so you should have time before you have to decide - or maybe you need to apply for that program specifically. I'd talk with an academic adviser at the cc. If you're trying to avoid a stressful job, I'd be sure to let the academic adviser and/or career counselor know.[/quote']

Thank you Teachin'Mine, my CC has everything you could possibly think of, and counselors are there to provide support and I plan on talking to them as soon as I have time available. Fortunately things are starting to return to normal pace and I will be able to make quite a few phone calls. Thanks for the advice!

Have you researched requirements and prereqs for each program.?

I work with cc students who are taking prereqs for allied health sciences. The admission to those programs are very competitive, and most students have the general courses (English, math, etc.) and science prereqs (A & P, chemistry) completed before they apply for admission to their programs. If the programs are similarily competitive at your cc, just look at courses that are common to all (or most) and work at getting them completed. This will give you some more time to explore all your options. Also, at my cc, students can apply to more than 1 program, and then choose between the programs they are accepted into. Starting out in the general prereq courses will also give you time to make friends with other health occupations students and you can get more info about the programs.

Best wishes.

I am hoping to graduate early, possibly by spring of next year I want to finish high school and start my prereqs, then start applying to some of the programs (Medical Assisting and Medical Billing and Coding are by far my favorite, so I will be applying for those). I am grateful for all of your advice and tips, it is appreciated!:D