Menu

"The Real Highlands Latin School" blog

tdemauro

I am not sure if anyone has stumbled across this blog/website.

http://thehighlandslatin.com/2012/01/18/quotes-from-parents-using-memoria-press-materials/

If this topic has already been discussed, I apologize.

I came across it after googling The Highlands Latin School with genuine interest. I thought it was the official website until I began reading and navigating the blog.

The above link contains quotes from parents to show The Highlands Latin School's deficiencies in science, math, and more. Many of the comments seemed familiar, and I'm still not sure if they are from the Memoria Press website directly.

Since I've just spent some time on the boards looking for info about the school and Memoria Press( I own a decent amount of their products and was looking for info on future purchases), I recalled a recent thread about the school.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338357&highlight=highlands+latin+school

Quite a few comments from this thread seem to posted on the blog that I linked at the beginning of my post. I just want to make people aware of the situation.

This is my first post so I hope the links work?

Tanya

Whoa! They lifted quotes from this board?

I don't think so. The wtm thread is very positive about Memoria Press.

The blog the op linked claims to be a "parody," but my impression is that it's a disgruntled parent/s whining about the brick and mortar HLS either asking his/her child to leave or not inviting his/her child to return in the fall. Ironic... On the one hand, the parent is angry at being asked to leave. On the other hand, the parent is complaining about the memory work, curriculum, teachers, etc., and claiming that HLS doesn't have a solid implementation of classical education. All things the parent would have known they were signing up for when they enrolled.

To the OP: If you're homeschooling, enjoy using the MP products you have as you see fit. I wouldn't worry about, or waste time reading, an anonymous blogger with an ax to grind.

Edited by yvonne

I will continue to use Memoria Press products; I love them!!:001_smile:

I do believe quotes were "lifted" from the thread I linked for the use of the/those disgruntled parent(s). My point is that the quotes on the thread were meant in a positive light, but the blog uses those lifted quotes to serve his agenda to discredit Memoria.

The following 3 quotes found on the blog seem to be taken directly from this thread

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338357&highlight=highlands+latin+school

“Looking at the Highlands Latin website, it looks like Memoria Press grade plans are pretty much the curriculum the school uses…[it's a] school in a box

“I am really amazed at how much my youngest has memorized. It’s deceptively simple.â€

“I never would have expected my ____ to memorize this much.â€

I am posting to let other wtm's know that their comments may have been used on this blog without their knowledge. It just doesn't seem right:tongue_smilie:

Tanya