Menu

Vocabulary

Ohmomjacquie

Hi! JuWwwwstvitreous what you all suggest forthird grade? My daughter has an expressive speech delay which has made a difference in the vocabulary she understand when reading. I've looked at vocabulary workshop and evan moor word a day. Is there another I should look at? Thanks in advance!

Is English a second language or first language for her? How does she do with grammar?

If she is 11, I would tend to start with book 1 for Wordly Wise, and maybe for the pronounciations add Megawords. Work through them slowly. WW for the vocabulary enrigchment and working with the words, and Megawords to learn the sounds that a syllable will make and spell.

Again, speed or grade level should not be the issue - concentrate on getting results and that may mean taking lots of time to get there.

HTH

Consider .... Dynamic Literacy if it is in your budget.

Guest Jennifer Robinson

I'm trying to get the word out about a program I've developed called Visual Vocabulary. It's designed for all levels, but its methods make it well-suited for kids with special needs. No workbooks, no dry lists. I don't want to be salesman-y on here, but I'd love to answer any questions.

There are a couple things that come to mind.

One is VocabuLits, from Perfection Learning. My DS used these in his G/T program when he was in school, and I think we're going to start them again next year. http://www.perfectionlearning.com/vocabu-lit-program They're graded, but you can take a look and see if a different level is best.

The other we haven't used but it looks interesting: Word Roots from Critical Thinking. It's more of a prefix/roots/suffix strategy, and we just might use something like this instead... I can't decide. http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=03709

The other we haven't used but it looks interesting: Word Roots from Critical Thinking. It's more of a prefix/roots/suffix strategy, and we just might use something like this instead... I can't decide. http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=03709

I started Dynamic Literacy's WordBuild program this past year. It is also a prefix/suffix/roots strategy for learning vocabulary. The program is meant to be started in 3rd/4th or older. It is pricey, but I think it is solid.

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to get the word out about a program I've developed called Visual Vocabulary. It's designed for all levels, but its methods make it well-suited for kids with special needs. No workbooks, no dry lists. I don't want to be salesman-y on here, but I'd love to answer any questions.

I'd like to learn more, please ;)

I'm in a similar boat. My rising 6th grader has CAPD that affects both her expressive and receptive language. We've been doing therapy and remediation for a year now and she's doing great in reading and math. However, her writing and vocab are way behind.

I love Wordly Wise (used it when teaching at private school pre-kids.) I'm worried that it'd be too much for her. IDK. I'm still figuring out this whole mom gig.

Thanks for letting me butt in to this old thread!

• 4 weeks later...