Menu

Thoughts on using what there is of ALL (despite its indefinite hold status)?

I really like what I've seen of Advanced Language Lessons. I realize the book is now on indefinite hold, but I'm having a hard time setting aside the idea of it, kwim? Would it be worth it to at least use the portion of the program that was written thus far? Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure how much of it SWB completed ~ or whether those weeks are still available for our use. Anyone? Thanks!

I got the big download (15 or 20 wks?) before the cancellation announcement was made, and plan to use it as soon as my son is ready. I thought he'd be ready sooner, but plans have a way of changing. I got the idea from somewhere that PHP is not giving the download for it out any longer (perhaps this will resume when plans for ALL are resurrected). In the big ALL thread, Susan specified types of exercises you could skip in another grammar program having completed the ALL sample. So, on purpose, I'm planning to use ALL after my son finishes his current grammar, then dive into the next level of R&S minus the bits ALL covered. Clear as mud? :)

I got the big download (15 or 20 wks?) before the cancellation announcement was made, and plan to use it as soon as my son is ready. I thought he'd be ready sooner, but plans have a way of changing. I got the idea from somewhere that PHP is not giving the download for it out any longer (perhaps this will resume when plans for ALL are resurrected). In the big ALL thread, Susan specified types of exercises you could skip in another grammar program having completed the ALL sample. So, on purpose, I'm planning to use ALL after my son finishes his current grammar, then dive into the next level of R&S minus the bits ALL covered. Clear as mud? :)

Similar situation here. We're using it as a second semester grammar program and will be done at the end of the year. Next year we'll be in grade level grammar with Hake or possibly with AG, but we'll skip or lightly review the exercises SWB specified.

BTW, ALL's approach is fantastic! I really wish we had the full deal, but I've had to determine that we aren't going to wait for it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yep, I followed that. Thanks for your reply.:)

ALL's approach is fantastic!

It'd be ideal, I know.

I would like to try using what there is of ALL too. I can only find the first 160 pages though.

Would that be the first 5 weeks that were posted here?

I emailed recently asking for the download and didn't get a response. I'm assuming they aren't giving it out anymore.

I asked and didn't hear back either. I wish they'd posted a new thread when they decided to put the project on hold. Sigh...

Quick update! I received an email reply from Susan's assistant. Those still interested in the additional samples may request them from her at pattie@welltrainedmind.com. I plan to use this as a refresher, spreading it out over the course of a semester or longer.

Btw, what ages are you students who have used, or are using, ALL? Did they have a good deal of exposure to prior exposure to grammar? Thanks!

Quick update! I received an email reply from Susan's assistant. Those still interested in the additional samples may request them from her at pattie@welltrainedmind.com. I plan to use this as a refresher, spreading it out over the course of a semester or longer.

Btw, what ages are you students who have used, or are using, ALL? Did they have a good deal of exposure to prior exposure to grammar? Thanks!

Hi Colleen,

My dd is at 7th grade level this year. Prior to this year we completed 1 year of Shurley, one year of EG before finally doing 5th grade R&S. (Yes, we bounced around a bit trying to find the right one.) We probably would have stayed on with R&S because it is thorough and very easy to teach, but when they announced ALL we got all excited and moved over to PHP language arts. This school year as we were waiting for the release of ALL we did a quick review with FLL4 during first semester, then moved over to the ALL samples for the 2nd semester.

Now that ALL has been suspended, we've decided to use a very basic grammar program like AG or Hake (with no writing) paired up with WWS. Honestly, we would have loved staying with ALL if at all possible. Dd loves PHP language arts more than any curriculum we've used. We are dedicated to staying with WWS, but we'll just have to find that basic grammar to go with it.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One