Menu

Great/Classic Children's Literature for Middle School

TheAutumnOak

I need help thinking of great children's literature for middle school and junior high age children...I am aware of some high school level literature, but I am not sure what would be considered a classic or must read for the younger group...I am hoping some of you can help by listing some suggestions :001_smile:

Thanks so much in advance...

I've just been totally reworking my reading lists, based on the big Circe thread that has been floating around here. SO this is *totally* a work in progress, but here is what I've got, based on a combination of reading level and content, for what I'm thinking of as "junior high" - like 7th & 8th grade. This is the middle piece of a bigger list, and is in order of reading difficulty, not content, or date, or anything else.

Ellen Foster

The Crucible

The Old Man and the Sea

To Kill a Mockinbird

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

something by P.G. Wodehouse

something by G. K. Chesterton - Father Brown mystery?

White Fang

Jane Eyre

THe Red Badge of Courage

The War of the Worlds

A Tale of Two Cities

Les Miserables

Ivanhoe

yes, but don't you think that is kind of a weird reading list? at least for 4th-5th grade. I know you have boys, maybe it fits better. But there is a *lot* of edgar rice burroughs and henty, and a lot of things missing, I think?? My eyes are crossing with booklists. Now I'm back to wondering where "modern" lit fits in, if anywhere (i.e. Newberry award winners, books I loved as a girl . . . )

Rose, that may be true. Even liking the list as a whole, there are a lot of titles I would probably skip.

The recent talk on having skipped the "good" books led me to look at all levels of this list... we are of course past the Primary age list, but there are books even on there that I'd like to do as read aloud now. Plus add on other titles from authors on the list... I think one could pull together plenty. And many of the Newbery books and such, while maybe not "classics" yet, would still be good choices, I would think.

ETA: Rose, I saw another post you made, and I think we're talking about two different lists. The list that AutumnOak linked above is a LOOONG list of good books on classicalhomeschooling.com. The list you referenced in the other thread (and may still be thinking of?) is for a specific 4th grade literature guide. Are we on the same page? As for that list for the literature guide... yes, I agree, it's not a list I would choose even for a boy. He wouldn't be interested in half of them!!

Edited by SunnyDays