Menu

Looking for a meaty US History...

4maybabies

This coming year I'm going to have a K'er, 1st and 3rd grader. My older two are huge history lovers! This past year we did elemental history's Adventures in America...while we've enjoyed it, we're looking for something a little more in depth and more hands on. We would love to add more living books as well...

So, is there anything out there that I can combine my older 2 with? It can be secular or Christian....

Would SL core D be too much for a 1st grader?

Short answer? Yes, it is too much for a first grader.

We've done SL for several years now. The cores are really better suited for children in a grade one year higher than what they suggest. We're planning on doing TOG next year. Your two oldest would be together and there are hands on projects to go with the reading.

Have you looked at TruthQuest History? My son is so loving the books that he has chosen a few as bedtime stories (which is unprecedented in his Star Wars/Calvin & Hobbes world:lol:).

It is all living books and the schedule is totally up to you (though there are files uploaded at the TQ Yahoo group that I found very helpful in deciding how long to spend on various sections versus others).

The commentary is conversational and excellent (decidedly Christian). The books she lists are wonderful (only one dud in the bunch this entire year for us and that was b/c I bought one way above grade level before I realized I should be paying attention to that). Her grade level suggestions are spot on, and you can do read alouds for all of your kids plus add in harder books for your older ones to read to themselves.

I cannot say enough about the depth of understanding and love for history my son has gained this year. I never saw myself as someone who could/would operate without an IG, since I am a box checker. But for my right-brained son, TQ has been a terrific, natural fit for history. And I love it, too!

HTH,

Christina

Ok so I have been looking at the Truthquest history website all night:D

I think it has everything we want/need!

StinainColorado....do you use the notebook/timeline/Binder-builder pages as well? I'm thinking if I use those it will be a perfect fit for us, however, it looks like a lot.

Ok so I have been looking at the Truthquest history website all night:D

I think it has everything we want/need!

StinainColorado....do you use the notebook/timeline/Binder-builder pages as well? I'm thinking if I use those it will be a perfect fit for us, however, it looks like a lot.

I'm so glad you think TQ looks like a good fit! We love it so much that I'm always surprised that more people don't use it. I suppose that's a silly rookie thing to say (this is only our second year HSing) but anyway...

We have not used any of the binder builders because my son doesn't like cutting/pasting/coloring activities at all, nor is writing (notebooking) big on his fun list. I've found it to be enough to simply read him the stories (we usually spend about an hour each day on history and he asks for it first every day). I review whenever an opportunity comes up, but he's only in second grade, so I'm not worried about memorization. I think next year, I'll try to do more discussion, but for now, I'm just thrilled that he loves history and seems to remember things when I ask questions.

I think a lot of the people on the TQ Yahoo group use various parts, if not all, of the binder builders. I've heard good things and can't recall any negative comments about them. Also, Michelle just announced that she has put out some shorter, more focused binder builders, like for the American Revolution and other topics. So if you didn't want to do the extra work year round, you could still do it for specific topics. It's on the TQ Web site.

Best of luck!

Christina