Menu

I asked before but have since changed a few things, so...

... could you please look at and evaluate my (new) 5th grade plans? This is my first 5th grader doing a Classical education. Dd now 8th started the end of 6th but more in 7th so this is kinda new to me ;).

Bible- Bedell Curriculum

Math- TT6, Key To series. Starting TT7 towards the end of the year as she finishes TT6.

English- FLL 3 if not finished or start 4. Unless you think it would be smart to skip FLL 4 and go straight into R&S 5? Would that be to big of a jump from FLL3? thoughts?

Writing- WWE finish 3 then 4 plus writing in science, history and lit

Reading- books to go along with history and science plus a list of classics I have yet to make. I will do a few lit guides (3 or 4?) with her as well.

Science- Shepherd Science Life Science, Biology 101 DVD's, Exploring the World of Biology and other resources I decide on.

History- Ancients from a bunch of resources and 2 spines (to much to list;)) and map-work to add in Geography

Spanish- Haven't decided yet. Something to follow up with Getting Started with Spanish

Thoughts? Am I missing something? To much of something? Any thoughts on English?

Spelling? Logic puzzles?

I'd move onto R&S English 5, personally. One of mine went from FLL 3 to R&S 5 as a fourth grader and did fine. I had planned to take it slowly, perhaps doing a lesson over two days, oral drill one day, and written drill the next, but it wasn't needed.

Spelling? Logic puzzles?

I'd move onto R&S English 5, personally. One of mine went from FLL 3 to R&S 5 as a fourth grader and did fine. I had planned to take it slowly, perhaps doing a lesson over two days, oral drill one day, and written drill the next, but it wasn't needed.

Ugh. I forgot about Spelling :glare: We are doing Spelling Power now. She hates it. Not sure if she would like anything else better though so we will probably continue with that.

Not sure about logic puzzles yet. She does Sudoku but not sure what else to add in. I have Fallacy Detective but I was going to wait until 6th. Think it would work for 5th?

You can think about the: Logic Countdown, Logic Lift off, Orbiting Logic serie before fallacy. You may check Lori D. 's posts on logic.

HTH

We liked the WTM recommended Mind Benders, and a few other random Critical Thinking Company books. The MindWare catalog has oodles of fun options, too.

Thank you! I am going to check all of these out! :001_smile:

I transitioned my older into vocabulary instead of spelling, and he is far happier now. He still has to spell all his vocab words correctly :).

I second the mind benders and other critical thinking co books. There is a big one called critical Thinking Skills that I thought was stupid at first, but ow that he is nearly done with it, I can see how cleverly it was really designed-- I highly recommend it. It was one of those delighted to be wrong books ;)

... could you please look at and evaluate my (new) 5th grade plans? This is my first 5th grader doing a Classical education. Dd now 8th started the end of 6th but more in 7th so this is kinda new to me ;).

Bible- Bedell Curriculum

Math- TT6, Key To series. Starting TT7 towards the end of the year as she finishes TT6.

English- FLL 3 if not finished or start 4. Unless you think it would be smart to skip FLL 4 and go straight into R&S 5? Would that be to big of a jump from FLL3? thoughts?

Writing- WWE finish 3 then 4 plus writing in science, history and lit

Reading- books to go along with history and science plus a list of classics I have yet to make. I will do a few lit guides (3 or 4?) with her as well.

Science- Shepherd Science Life Science, Biology 101 DVD's, Exploring the World of Biology and other resources I decide on.

History- Ancients from a bunch of resources and 2 spines (to much to list;)) and map-work to add in Geography

Spanish- Haven't decided yet. Something to follow up with Getting Started with Spanish

Thoughts? Am I missing something? To much of something? Any thoughts on English?

Something I had to start watching for was the daily cumulative amount of writing. Perhaps your dc adores writing, but for my son, I made a simple weekly chart listing all curricula that could possibly require any writing and what types/how much writing was required from each of them for M - F, so that I could schedule my WTM writing assignments in hist, sci, & lit around days that were already writing-heavy in FLL, WWE, and anything else.

I'd like to pick your brain about Science Shepherd for 5th grade, if you don't mind. :D I'll PM so not to be a total hijacker.

Something I had to start watching for was the daily cumulative amount of writing. Perhaps your dc adores writing, but for my son, I made a simple weekly chart listing all curricula that could possibly require any writing and what types/how much writing was required from each of them for M - F, so that I could schedule my WTM writing assignments in hist, sci, & lit around days that were already writing-heavy in FLL, WWE, and anything else.

I'd like to pick your brain about Science Shepherd for 5th grade, if you don't mind. :D I'll PM so not to be a total hijacker.

Yeah, I will have to watch the writing. I do see this could get very heavy and I don't want to burn her out already ;) I like your idea of a chart!

I would love to answer your questions about Science Shepherd. :001_smile: I have some other things I will be using with it (Biology 101 dvd's and Exploring the World of Biology) I haven't used SS yet but I have been reading through it. I do love what I see!