Menu

Is there anything that can help a swollen gum over a wisdom tooth?

Ds17 says his gum is really swollen over a wisdom tooth. Is there anything he can do to help the discomfort/swelling? He says it is just a bit painful, irritating and gets in the way when he closes his mouth in a certain way. I haven't looked at it because he is gone for the weekend.

Our dentist is having contract issues with our insurance company, so if I take him there, I could end up paying for it out of pocket. I don't feel comfortable, just asking him to peek and let me know if there is anything he can do. The dentist just wrote off $200 for my recent visit, when they told me they were a preferred provider again, but in fact they signed up under the wrong program for my insurance.

I would have him swish warm salt water over the area. If anything is caught that may dislodge a food particle. It will also relieve the swelling somewhat.

There are oral rinses you can buy at the drugstore that have a numbing quality to them as well. I know I bought one for my son when he had cold sores in his mouth, but I can't remember the name. These rinses were with the mouthwash, but were definitely for pain relief and healing.

Looks like it may be time to get those wisdom teeth looked at for a possible extraction.:tongue_smilie:

Guest submarines

I have this issue about once a year. My dentist told me to brush really well over the area, yes, though the pain, several times a day. Rinse with salt water. I also put the baby teething gel over the area. :001_huh: Usually the issue resolves in 3-4 days.

Cloves. taste dreadful but numb the area. I also found that forcing myself to chew something on it or brushing quite firmly helped (through the tears). I spent 6 months with three infected, impacted wisdom teeth saving up to get them out... not fun!