Menu

HO question

fourcatmom

For a 5th grader who enjoys history, would you go level 1 or level 2. 2 seems a bit difficult but I guess you could pick and choose. Level 1 seems pretty easy for a 5th grader. I have downloaded the samples but just need some real life experience. I want to order an ebook since they are on sale right now.

We are going to be doing Early Modern

TIA:001_smile:

My 5th grader is doing Level 2 ancients this year and has done really well with it. It was a little to train him into it, but about 1/2 way through he really got in a groove and he's pretty much independent.

The only thing I would worry about is going too far up in the level 2 series with a 5th grader. You would most likely have to adjust the writing expectations (unless he's a really good writer).

We use some of the lit suggestions, but not all... you could always substitute other books if some seemed beyond him.

I would say if your 5th grader is quite capable you could likely get away with it. If he struggles a bit my initial thought would be you'd likely have to adjust a few things.

My ds11 really enjoys history and this year has been great with HO. He'll do Middle Ages Level 2 next year. It's challenging and I think a great curriculum! :001_smile:

My 5th grader is doing Level 2 ancients this year and has done really well with it. It was a little to train him into it, but about 1/2 way through he really got in a groove and he's pretty much independent.

The only thing I would worry about is going too far up in the level 2 series with a 5th grader. You would most likely have to adjust the writing expectations (unless he's a really good writer).

We use some of the lit suggestions, but not all... you could always substitute other books if some seemed beyond him.

I would say if your 5th grader is quite capable you could likely get away with it. If he struggles a bit my initial thought would be you'd likely have to adjust a few things.

My ds11 really enjoys history and this year has been great with HO. He'll do Middle Ages Level 2 next year. It's challenging and I think a great curriculum! :001_smile:

Thank you. I go back and forth. The coloring pages in 1 push me towards level 2 but then there are other things that have me leaning towards level 1. She does read SOTW 3 and we could use that with 1. We also have the Kingfisher which we could use with 2. I really don't want to buy more books. We are also going to move this quickly - we need to be done by Sept. which leads me more towards 1 but I don't want her to be bored either. She is a great creative writer (working on writing a book) but handwriting is poor and structured writing doesn't come as easy although I would still say that she does it well.

I was looking at your website and I have a grandson named Rylan. :001_smile:

I would not put a fifth grader straight into Early Modern level 2. Level 2 HO builds incrementally from Ancients up. I have Early Modern for my rising 7th grader. The amount of reading, writing and analysis is fairly advanced. I'd do level 1 and drop things like coloring pages, which are too easy.

I would not put a fifth grader straight into Early Modern level 2. Level 2 HO builds incrementally from Ancients up. I have Early Modern for my rising 7th grader. The amount of reading, writing and analysis is fairly advanced. I'd do level 1 and drop things like coloring pages, which are too easy.

Thank you. I think I will go ahead with Level 1 and combine it with SOTW 3. DO you like CHOW book, I have not seen this yet?

I like CHOW a lot. I love the writing style. However, with HO level 1 you don't need SotW and CHOW, you pick one or the other.

I thought you read out of both of them plus the Internet linked encyclopedia. I don't have that one but I have the Kingfisher one. Have you used that one for level 1?

I have read a lot of other posts and a lot of people say that they put their 5th graders in level 2. I am second guessing my decision again! I guess I could print out the first couple lessons from both and see which one she prefers. :confused:

Edited by fourcatmom

Level 2 Ancients is written for fifth grade. It teaches how to outline. It doesn't ask for much analysis, more still fact recording. Level 2 Middle Ages requires more writing, longer outlines, more thought. By Level 2 Early Modern the expectations are quite high for all of those. I'm not saying there isn't a fifth grader in the world who could do it, or that you couldn't modify it, but since HO level 2 builds incrementally through the history cycle popping a kid directly into the third book in the series would be difficult without a lot of preparation. The literature books for Level 2 Early Modern are not too hard for a fifth grader, imo, though, so you could add those to the Level 1 course to beef it up.

Now, perhaps I've given the wrong impression. I never have used HO level 1. My understanding from reading about it is that the encyclopedia is the spine and you choose readings from the other two books, SotW and/or CHOW.

As for using Kingfisher instead, I don't see any reason you couldn't. You'd just have to look up the correct pages and make necessary changes.

I printed it out last night and really looked at it. Honestly, I think it looks really hard! Maybe if you've been following WTM outlining and summarizing suggestions all along, it would be doable. But there is no way in the world my 5th grader could do it. Even my 7th grader is going to balk, and he is bright, advanced, and has been doing IEW for a couple of years. I was thinking of using it, but now I am not so sure. Plus, and someone tell me where my thinking is wrong, but I think a year of history with just outlining KHE would be doing a terrible disservice to history! There are readings sprinkled in (TSOM) and then the literature every now and then, but when I printed it out and looked at it, I thought, wow, I would prefer something with more reading. Maybe others add a lot more in. I would just say, print it out, really look at it and estimate how much time your child would take to use it.

I am at square one again.

I printed it out last night and really looked at it. Honestly, I think it looks really hard! Maybe if you've been following WTM outlining and summarizing suggestions all along, it would be doable. But there is no way in the world my 5th grader could do it. Even my 7th grader is going to balk, and he is bright, advanced, and has been doing IEW for a couple of years. I was thinking of using it, but now I am not so sure. Plus, and someone tell me where my thinking is wrong, but I think a year of history with just outlining KHE would be doing a terrible disservice to history! There are readings sprinkled in (TSOM) and then the literature every now and then, but when I printed it out and looked at it, I thought, wow, I would prefer something with more reading. Maybe others add a lot more in. I would just say, print it out, really look at it and estimate how much time your child would take to use it.

I am at square one again.

I drop a lot of the outlining, because we find it boring to do too much. Part of my revising is replacing Kingfisher with other sources when I can find them easily.

I drop a lot of the outlining, because we find it boring to do too much. Part of my revising is replacing Kingfisher with other sources when I can find them easily.

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing last night. I only printed out a few pages but I would have to change many things. I don't like the spines that level 2 uses and I want something more interesting. Even if she did some of the writing - I want something to grab her. I am looking at other programs for next year but I just wanted something that wasn't going to cost me and arm and leg that we could work on now through the end of summer for American History. I don't want to waste my money either - so I don't know anymore either. :confused::confused::confused:

Level 2 Ancients is written for fifth grade. It teaches how to outline. It doesn't ask for much analysis, more still fact recording. Level 2 Middle Ages requires more writing, longer outlines, more thought. By Level 2 Early Modern the expectations are quite high for all of those. I'm not saying there isn't a fifth grader in the world who could do it, or that you couldn't modify it, but since HO level 2 builds incrementally through the history cycle popping a kid directly into the third book in the series would be difficult without a lot of preparation. The literature books for Level 2 Early Modern are not too hard for a fifth grader, imo, though, so you could add those to the Level 1 course to beef it up.

Now, perhaps I've given the wrong impression. I never have used HO level 1. My understanding from reading about it is that the encyclopedia is the spine and you choose readings from the other two books, SotW and/or CHOW.

As for using Kingfisher instead, I don't see any reason you couldn't. You'd just have to look up the correct pages and make necessary changes.

I do believe that the 5th graders were using Ancients so that makes more sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

I think those cards a really cool idea. Same sorts of things as are in HO, but you can use any resource. So if we get bored with or decide we don't like the slant of a particular book, it doesn't mean we have to ditch the whole thing or reinvent it. Plus, I like that the child learns how to pick and choose resources, and all the kids can be working on one task card and using whichever sources they prefer. Really neat little idea! They are on my short list. I kind of wonder why they aren't more popular.

I think those cards a really cool idea. Same sorts of things as are in HO, but you can use any resource. So if we get bored with or decide we don't like the slant of a particular book, it doesn't mean we have to ditch the whole thing or reinvent it. Plus, I like that the child learns how to pick and choose resources, and all the kids can be working on one task card and using whichever sources they prefer. Really neat little idea! They are on my short list. I kind of wonder why they aren't more popular.

They are fairly new, partly. Also, at least the physics ones were pretty repetative and the assignments not so interesting to my kids. I think a lot of others have liked them and I love the idea. I'm tempted to buy some more to see if we could make better use of them.