Menu

Planning on A Private Tutor for Grade 6+ Math?

WIS0320

Is anyone else in this boat?

I suppose after a lot of reading (yes, Liping Ma) and using Singapore for first grade I am not convinced I am capable of teaching my children advanced math. My own math skills are mediocre at best and probably would not even qualify as mediocre. At some point my children are going to need more than I can provide.

I'm wondering about science as well. I don't think I'm personally up to dissecting *anything* on my kitchen counter. I managed to graduate from *college* without ever taking a chemistry course. When we cover Chem 1 in 3rd grade I'll be learning right along with my DC!

I've got years to figure this out but at the same time I think laying a roadmap now isn't a terrible idea. I'd like to homeschool longterm but at this point I am not sure I can handle past grade 5. What do you do as a homeschooling parent if you genuinely do not think you are up to the task of teaching higher level math and science?

6th grade?!? Heck, I'm looking for a math tutor right now! :D

I completely feel you about not being able to teach upper level math and science. I've already outsourced parts of science to an engineering teacher (I also have an AP Chem teacher lined up for a few years down the road) and I'm searching for the right math tutor.

But then I tutor other students in writing & LA, so it seems to work out.

We are using, and will continue with, Systematic Mathematics. I watch the lessons with dd11 and then we do the first few problems together and she finishes the rest. I have already learned a ton that I either never knew or just forgot. It is an awesome program.