Menu

How long does IEW take each day?

Connections

With a 5th (using ATFF) grader, it takes us 20-30 minutes a day. With my 11th (using SWI-C) grader, it can take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how much he decides to do for the day, but we usually do one assignment per week. And that's from beginning (ideas, outlines, rough drafts, and final copies) to the end. :)

If you are using IEW, how long do you work on writing each day? We would be starting fresh with it for a 5th grader and a 6th grader.

We use SWI A, fourth grade. We spend 15-30 minutes depending on how focused DD is. There is a suggested schedule to follow that has 5 days some weeks, 4 days more often, sometimes watching the DVD (for SWI A), but mostly practicing writing. The writing tasks for the day may be doing an outline of one paragraph (10-15 min) or it may be typing a composition from the outline (30 min), and then there are editing days. Really, it's very flexible.

We actually switch between doing SWI A and a literature unit that includes grammar/writing/literary analysis - about three weeks of one then three weeks of the other. At this pace we will probably be done with SWI A by the end of the year or shortly thereafter.

We have spent as long as 45 min when they are telling me what to write. We are on SICC A and have done SWI A, and two themes. Mine love to compose and do not like writing, but they are young still, so I keep writing for them when it comes to FULL paper. They write outlines.