Menu

Gorgeous stars out tonight!

Mandylubug

It is cloudy here. :thumbdown:

March 15, 2012 is the exact date of conjunction, when these two worlds have the same right ascension (sort of like celestial longitude) in Earth’s sky. But Venus and Jupiter are close throughout the month of March 2012. They are like twin beacons – two very bright planets – near each other in the west as soon as the sun goes down.

you still have time to see it :)

We were outside watching this a few days ago. We looked west and were surprised that there were two (what appeared to be) planets so close together. I got out my little sky view app on my phone (what did we do before smartphones?!? :lol: ) and verified that they were indeed Venus and Jupiter. It was beautiful!!

We're finishing up our science for the year, and I'm now inspired to do Astronomy over the spring and summer!!

We were outside watching this a few days ago. We looked west and were surprised that there were two (what appeared to be) planets so close together. I got out my little sky view app on my phone (what did we do before smartphones?!? :lol: ) and verified that they were indeed Venus and Jupiter. It was beautiful!!

We're finishing up our science for the year, and I'm now inspired to do Astronomy over the spring and summer!!

Same here! I think it was 3 nights ago. They were right next to each other, but Venus has dropped lower since. I was amazed at how bright and beautiful Jupiter was. A couple weeks ago we saw Jupiter, Venus, Mars, and the moon all in alignment. That was cool, too.

What app do you have?