Menu

Adding FLL/WWE on top of a full language arts curriculum?

alisoncooks

We have CLE's Learning to Read and Language Arts program lined up for the fall.

CLE describes it's LA program as:

phonics-based program teaches grammar, punctuation, communication skills, writing, spelling, and penmanship

Sounds complete, right? But I can't shake my interest in FLL and WWE.

Here are my options:

• Return all of CLE and use OPGTR (have), FLL & WWE (don't have).
  • Keep CLE LTR (phonics), return CLE LA. Use LTR + FLL + WWE.
  • Keep CLE LTR + LA. Use FLL and WWE as separate/extra practice (relaxed).
  • Do CLE LTR + LA this year. Begin FLL & WWE next year.

Thoughts?

Just to get a feel for how full our year will be, we'll also be using CLE's Math, and light geography, art & science (of my own picking/choosing -- "living" book based).

Thanks for the feedback.

So -- does anyone think that (even though they don't overlap) it will be too much for a young 6 yr. old (FLL + WWE + CLE LA + CLE LTR).

Thank you!

Depends on how much your child is able to write. There is quite a bit of written work involved for that age.

Depends on how much your child is able to write. There is quite a bit of written work involved for that age.

Hmmm...she writes somewhat grudgingly, complaining of hand fatigue....which means we don't do a lot/long stretches. I just let her do some things orally. With CLE having all the workbooks, I'm wondering if it'll be overwhelming.

Well, shoot.

Now I'm tempted to return all the CLE, and just go with OPGTR + WWE+ FLL. But then I think I'd need spelling....GRRRR.

This really shouldn't be so hard, LOL! :lol:

CLE LTR & CLE LA 100 does NOT overlap with First Language Lessons (FLL) and Writing With Ease (WWE). Doing them together would not be redundant.

I agree. This year for 1st we have used CLE LA, FLL, and WWE and they don't really overlap. Once the CLE LA penmanship starts, there is a bit of overlap in copywork with WWE, but so far the penmanship in CLE is very short. We skip the copywork in FLL. CLE LA doesn't really touch on grammar much at all. It is really focused on phonics.

We finished OPGTR in the first 1/3 of the year after having done it all of K last year. It might be a better fit since it doesn't have writing like CLE LTR does.

We also use CLE math.

HTH,

Kathy

I agree. This year for 1st we have used CLE LA, FLL, and WWE and they don't really overlap. Once the CLE LA penmanship starts, there is a bit of overlap in copywork with WWE, but so far the penmanship in CLE is very short. We skip the copywork in FLL. CLE LA doesn't really touch on grammar much at all. It is really focused on phonics.

We finished OPGTR in the first 1/3 of the year after having done it all of K last year. It might be a better fit since it doesn't have writing like CLE LTR does.

We also use CLE math.

HTH,

Kathy

Do any of you know if they over lap with 2nd grade CLE reading and LA? I want to do R&S English 2, WWE1 or 2 (I don't know which one would be better) and the CLE Reading. We already do AAS. But when I looked at CLE LA, there were a lot of topics that wouldn't be covered in anything else we were doing. I'm so overwhelmed by choices!

We use CLE LA along with WWE, FLL, and AAS! I use CLE as our independent review curriculum and I Love It! I do WWE 2 days a week and we accelerate through FLL and we work with AAS steps 2x a week. I use our AAS rules to mark the CLE spelling words. I use FLL lessons to reinforce the grammar topics orally and in a relaxed way. WWE helps use stay on track with narrations and summaries. I couldn't be happier with how well everything works.

We worked through WWE1, 1/2 FLL1 and AAS 1 in first grade. Ds was struggling with reading because I never used a "teaching reading" program so I added in CLE Reading 1 and CLE LA 1 for second grade. We accelerated through LA 100 and when we started 200 I added in WWE1, FLL1, and AAS 2. Next year, I have CLE LA 300 slotted with WWE 2 FLL 2 and AAS 3 for third grade.

I go over the CLE lessons and cross out redundancies, highlighting trouble spots. He then works solo through the lesson sections! SOLO! I love how independent CLE is! I have quiz and test score to help guide and direct my lesson plans. Most importantly, when nothing else gets done, CLE gets done. If we have a crazy week and I don't find time to go over the oral lessons, he can take his workbook anywhere and work on a section or two. Perfect!

We use CLE LA along with WWE, FLL, and AAS! I use CLE as our independent review curriculum and I Love It! I do WWE 2 days a week and we accelerate through FLL and we work with AAS steps 2x a week. I use our AAS rules to mark the CLE spelling words. I use FLL lessons to reinforce the grammar topics orally and in a relaxed way. WWE helps use stay on track with narrations and summaries. I couldn't be happier with how well everything works.

We worked through WWE1, 1/2 FLL1 and AAS 1 in first grade. Ds was struggling with reading because I never used a "teaching reading" program so I added in CLE Reading 1 and CLE LA 1 for second grade. We accelerated through LA 100 and when we started 200 I added in WWE1, FLL1, and AAS 2. Next year, I have CLE LA 300 slotted with WWE 2 FLL 2 and AAS 3 for third grade.

I go over the CLE lessons and cross out redundancies, highlighting trouble spots. He then works solo through the lesson sections! SOLO! I love how independent CLE is! I have quiz and test score to help guide and direct my lesson plans. Most importantly, when nothing else gets done, CLE gets done. If we have a crazy week and I don't find time to go over the oral lessons, he can take his workbook anywhere and work on a section or two. Perfect!

This whole post just made me so happy! :001_smile:

I really think I want to do a similiar combo, I just don't want it to be too much work, if you know what I mean. Sounds like you love it, though!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

What I have decided to do (I think :tongue_smilie:) is return the CLE materials. I just don't know that *I* can keep up multiple programs without feeling overwhelmed. (We are still using CLE Math, though...)

So we'll be doing FLL, WWE, some separate handwriting (A Reason For Handwriting, maybe) and spelling...but I don't know what to do for spelling (possibly A Reason for Spelling). So I'm researching, right now.