Menu

When is too late to join boy scouts?

My ds really doesn't have an interest in scouts, however I'd like to provide him with more social outlets to become more connected. He is reluctant to do activities and slow to warm up, although thoroughly enjoys people after awhile.

He just turned 15 and I just found out that there are lots of benefits to becoming an Eagle Scout. Is he too old to join at 15? He is not particularly excited about the idea of joining scouts, but would is willing to try it out if I insisted. Should I let the idea go because he's too old or insist he try, knowing he might not like it?

It would be hard to make Eagle if you start at 15. However, scout troops do all kinds of things. Working towards Eagle is a good goal, but it's not the only reason to join scouting, and I wouldn't let age stop an interested boy from becoming a scout. As a PP mentioned, Venturing is another option to investigate. Both types of troops have all kinds of ourdoor activities from which to choose.

That said, while Eagle is a good goal to have, it's a lot of work and if a boy isn't all that interested in scouts, I wouldn't push them to earn Eagle. Better that they find something they are passionate about and work hard at that.

My ds#2 son joined scouts just after he turned 15. Mostly, I wanted him to learn some outdoor/life lessons and have experiences that he would not get otherwise. We really joined for my 2 youngest sons but their brother came along for the ride. It would have been possible for him to Eagle, but it would have had to be his focused goal. It would not have been easy. This particular son is more of an urbanite than his outdoor loving brothers. He didn't Eagle because he had other goals to focus on, but he learned so many things that will serve him well in the future. He quit when he made Star.

Joining at age 15 with a goal to reach Eagle would be pretty ambitious. The reason to be an Eagle scout shouldn't be so you have something good to put on college applications. As the mom of a dedicated scout, I can confidently say if your son has no interest in scouts then he shouldn't join. The boys that are being forced to be a part of scouts by parents are often a hindrance to the other boys because they don't put in effort and sometimes cause the other boys more work. Is there something your son could do that he IS interested in?

You are never too old for scouts imo!

He may not earn Eagle but I am sure he will have a blast and learn a ton along the way anyway.

DS13 is the oldest in his scout group. We do not have venturers in our local area so he gets to stay in scouts for an extra 2 years. Here in Canada we do not have Eagle scouts, our biggest awards are the Duke of Edinborough and THe Cheif Scout award. Even if DS never earns those things he is learning new things each week. Heck just earning the challenge badges themselves has put a motivation into him that was seldom seen before. Last night after scouts he told me his plan. Stay in scouts until 16. THen be a junior leader until 18 and then be an actual leader. He asked if he could stay in until he was 50. Yes you sure can!