Menu

Anyone done BJU Biology via Distance Learning?

DS did the BJU Biology w/Miss Lacy via DVD's. Compared to the Space and Earth Science lessons with Mrs. Vick, Miss Lacy was a disappointment (newer, greener teacher). The lessons still included the Satellite people, so there was some conversations with those students that didn't fit well with our son and seemed like a time-waster. That being said, however, the Biology books (2 vol.) were VERY impressive and thorough, and we felt like our son came out with a good overall grasp of Biology.

One thing to note if you go this route: the lessons presumed a ridiculously short amount of time for the student labs. We typically planned for ds to do labs on a Friday night or Saturday with his dad, and they often took several hours to do thoroughly (particularly if your student had not done a lot of labs previously and was learning about using a microscope, how to do a lab report, etc.).

Hope this helps!

P.S.: I'm not sure I agree with the negative perception of taking Physical Science in high school. Our daughter is doing 9th grade Physical Science with Mr. Harmon via DVD's now, and it constitutes an impressive introduction/foundation to Physics and Chemistry, fwiw.

DS did the BJU Biology w/Miss Lacy via DVD's. Compared to the Space and Earth Science lessons with Mrs. Vick, Miss Lacy was a disappointment (newer, greener teacher). The lessons still included the Satellite people, so there was some conversations with those students that didn't fit well with our son and seemed like a time-waster. That being said, however, the Biology books (2 vol.) were VERY impressive and thorough, and we felt like our son came out with a good overall grasp of Biology.

One thing to note if you go this route: the lessons presumed a ridiculously short amount of time for the student labs. We typically planned for ds to do labs on a Friday night or Saturday with his dad, and they often took several hours to do thoroughly (particularly if your student had not done a lot of labs previously and was learning about using a microscope, how to do a lab report, etc.).

Hope this helps!

P.S.: I'm not sure I agree with the negative perception of taking Physical Science in high school. Our daughter is doing 9th grade Physical Science with Mr. Harmon via DVD's now, and it constitutes an impressive introduction/foundation to Physics and Chemistry, fwiw.

Yes, it was Mrs. Vick that sucked us into BJU science as well. Everyone else was a real let down. Agree with all of the above. Life Science was fabulous in 7th, then we did Physical Science in 8th and Biology for 9th. Hate the satellite courses, lots of time wasting and addressing students. Neither were Mrs. Vick, I miss her. :)

I see nothing negative about doing Physical Science in 9th grade. Daughter #1 and now dtr #3 will both be doing this and it is perfectly standard. No one blinked at any college - we still did 4 years of high school science.

P9th - Physical - we do labs but I don't think it counts ?? as a lab science?

10th - Biol - lab

11th - Chem -lab

12th - Anat & Physiology - *not a lab*

Lisa j, we did BJU DVDs for Chemistry with Mr. Harmon and it was great other than the time-wasting daily weather discussions....

Edited by 74Heaven
I had erred in listing Anat & Phys as a lab sci

We didn't use the BJU distance courses, but the DIVE with the BJU texts, but we did skip Physical Science (actually, I bought it and dds read it through quickly.) Around here, even our ho-hum public school with no AP or Honors courses does Biology in 9th, so I wanted dc to be on track. Plus they are interested in STEM careers, and they will need an AP science or two at the end. Because the first few chapters of Biology cover a lot of Chemistry, they were just fine.

My ds has Miss Lacy for Physical Science this year and he really likes her! :confused:

The Biology we have recorded off the satellite has another young lady teaching it...I can't recall her name off-hand...with Miss Lacy being her assistant. It is the previous edition of Biology though. I am assuming Miss Lacy took over for her with the newer edition.

Anyhow, all that to say, all the teachers are different and have their own personality and way of doing things. We have used many levels of BJU DVDs over the years and have yet to be so disappointed in a teacher that we felt it wasn't a good year/investment.

(I also agree that there is nothing wrong with Physical in 9th...unless you are using Apologia's which, in my opinion, is not high school level)

We used BJUP science until high school, and then switched to Apologia.

That being said, I did the Apologia Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry and Advanced Biology (human anatomy) with my math/science-minded son for high school.

For my fine arts-driven daughter, I am using Apologia Physical Science, Biology, and Advanced Biology, and for her 12th grade year, we will use Paradigm's Integrated Physics and Chemistry. With her poor math skills and other academic struggles, she wouldn't survive Apologia's chemistry. The Paradigm program looks like it will suit her needs well.