Menu

Singapore Math Intensive Practice ???

HootyTooty

If you only use the Intensive Practice and the Challenging Word Problem book, how do you break it down in to your daily routine?

For year 1 we used the regular work books along with the textbook, and when the textbook said do exercises on page _ and _ we did. Now we don't have that handy little guide since we use the IP and the CWP book.

So what do you do?

We do short time periods for each subject, so YMMV.

You're using the text too I presume? IP has only revision questions and challenging problems, so it's assumed that the child has completed the entire topic in the book. DD goes through the topic in the text, doing all the problems and, if she needs it, some or all of the practices. Then I'll have her do as much of the IP as she can complete in 20 minutes (per day). A few times a single question from the Take the Challenge section took the entire time.... and that's exciting. I'm waiting eagerly for the day that a problem gets carried over. One problem did get carried over, but it turned out there wasn't sufficient information in the text to complete it. Here's a link to the errata page so you don't have the same problem. :)

As far as CWP, I usually only have her do one or two easy examples and then work only in the Challenging Section a topic or two behind. She does no more than one problem per day.

For 2A/2B, we went through an entire chapter in the text, working the examples as we went, skipping the mid-chapter reviews. When we finished a chapter, I had him do the end-of-chapter review, then we went through the same chapter in the IP. This allowed us to get through both books in a few months only doing math 2x per week.

For 3A/3B we are adding the workbook back in as I don't want him to get to 4A too quickly and we now do math 4x per week.

If you only use the Intensive Practice and the Challenging Word Problem book, how do you break it down in to your daily routine?

Hmmm, haven't heard of not using the workbook at all ... can't respond to that. We use the text/workbook, then at the end of the unit, go to IP and work through the corrsponding section a couple-three pages per day, not necessarily in order (I try to mix up easy fill-in-the-blank pages with the harder word problems). If you wanted to interleave IP with text, I guess you would have to go through it page by page and find the lesson division points yourself, if that makes sense (bleck!).

For CWP, we work half- to a year behind, a couple-three pages per week. We just do these in order -- it serves as review as well as problem-solving.

Karen