Menu

I have had it with Vista...is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7?

When you do the upgrade, if you have Vista Home, you can't upgrade to Windows7 Pro without flattening your machine. If you upgrade to Windows 7, get the HOME version.

My dh says to wait for Windows 8. It's coming out pretty soon and they will probably (probably) have fixed the problem by then.

What do you mean by "flattening" your machine? Striping all programs that I have loaded? Please elaborate. Do you know what will be different in Windows 8 from 7. It seems like it would likely be cheaper to upgrade to 7. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, just something that WORKS. Thanks in advance.

I agree with "something that works"--but 8 will "work" better than 7. We have contact with someone on the dev team. They say MSFT is really embarrassed by the upgrade issues from Vista to 7 and say that those have been fixed. My dh also says that there are a lot of things that look to be better in 8. In some things, the latest and greatest is not really worth it, but in OS's it often is. I wish I hadn't cheaped it on my iPhone and gotten a 3 instead of a 3G because now I am having all kinds of issues that my dh and ds do not have because the world is moving past me.

"Flattening" means you backup every last thing, and then you wipe the disk and start fresh with Windows 7, then reinstall all the applications, games, blah blah blah and your backups. It took my dh, who is not a slouch, 2 full days to get the basics going again. He has spent many additional interruptive hours fixing macros, printer and network connections, and getting the apps back to the "personal" way my son wanted them. And getting the games reinstalled online chewed up the network bandwidth so bad that we couldn't watch any Netflix for a couple of days.

In addition, my son is hereby convinced that he will NEVER EVER allow another systems upgrade, which is a pain in the rear because my dh keeps our in-house computer network running pretty nicely when we are all on the same OS and he gets the upgrades done at the same time.

Anyway, that's my 2cents. The OS price tends to stay pretty flat...it's not like spring clothes that are $80 in April and $40 in May. KWIM?

My experience with trying to upgrade from Vista to W7 was as described above, except I am not a computer tech and it took me much longer. I had bought the Vista comp when W7 was due to be coming out soon and was given a free upgrade for W7 when W7 got released. It was NOT NOT NOT worth it. Vista was working fine. It was just somewhat annoying. W7 sucks old biscuits. I think it is probably because of the upgrade and having to reinstall and reconfigure every. single. last. thing on the machine again. I really hate my laptop now and the other machines in the house are on XP (which always ran to perfection and still does) and my machine doesn't play nice with the others at all. What was a minor annoyance before is now a major inconvenience. We are looking at replacing the other 2 machines, but will likely wait for W8 and do all 3 at the same time.