Menu

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser or Handwriting Without Tears?

m0mmaBuck

HWOT - we got both and I found ZB to be more advanced (which meant it was not where my DS was at developmentally). He'll be ready for ZB 1st after completing both HWOT K and HWOT 1st. I really like the way the HWOT teacher's manual gives multi-sensory ideas for practicing each letter and the way the forms are clearly explained. I felt like it gave a lot of additional practice opportunities for learning the forms excellently.

We like ZB Handwriting a Way to Self Expression. It's an older ZB program for PS, but the teacher's manuals are very good and the books hold my dd's interest. Plus I can buy a years materials off Amazon for under $20, often under $10

HWOT was too costly for us to consider. Plus the pre-k workbook I did find of theirs didn't hold dd's interest at all.

We tried ZB last year, but my son is strange. He wants to write in cursive NOW, and didn't want to go through pages of practice. So after looking at HWOT we bought it because each page has the instruction for letter formation at the top, and then he can actually copy and write in cursive with little instruction. Yet it is legible and he remembers how to do it. When my kiddo wants to learn something he doesn't want ME slowing him down. :D On a side note I can't stand how HWOT cursive looks and that is why I first passed, but it seems like every child develops their own writing after they learn the basics, so their actual writing doesn't stay that way.

HWOT doesn't need a teachers manual. At least I can't see why you would need one?