Menu

Design question

If you had one hour with a designer to learn any one thing you wanted, what would it be?

What monetary value would you assign to that experience?

Thanks for helping. I'm posting this question for a friend who trained at Parsons School of Design and is currently re-inventing her business in a new city.

Furniture scale and placement. I think this is the biggest key to having your home be comfortable and inviting. I think most people have a concept of color (which I think is also important, but you said I could only choose one :D), but I don't think everyone knows how to arrange furniture so that a room flows, there is adequate seating, places to set drinks, a structure that enables conversation to flow, etc. I think it can make a big impact in a short amount of time, kwim? I really have no clue how much I would pay someone as I have never used an interior designer. Usually I think of designers as "doing" rather than "teaching." Since I don't know what your friend is trying to accomplish, I can't really offer anything else. I would think that a designer could do some MAJOR improving in a single room in an hour just with furniture placement. Doing it well might yield someone wanting her to do more for them.

HTH.

Using color. How to pick a main color and other suitable colors to go with it. Using those colors, how to pick patterned elements (rug, furniture, pillows, curtains, etc.) in different patterns that look good together. How to pick paint colors that don't end up looking weird on walls. e.g. tan paint that ends up looking pink, yellow paint that ends up looking greenish, etc.