Menu

The Checklist- Is it a Good List?

daysaregifts

I've seen a few discussions on this, but I just wondered how it compares to state or national standards. It definitely looks complete to me, but how would I know?! :001_smile: How good of a gauge is this? What has been your experience with it? I don't know anything about Cindy Downes- does she know her stuff? (I'm assuming so!) Any thoughts appreciated!

I have this. It is really good at spelling out all the topics in a certain subject that you might want to cover. First thing though is not to think you have to cover everything! It breaks things down by topics and lends itself well to a unit study approach if you like that. To give you an example. Under the Main subject history it is broken up into areas. One subtopic is Ancient Mesopotamia to 1400 BC under that it divides it into Major Events, People, Places, Terms, Discoveries/Accomplishments, Culture Study. You are to check off each topic that is studied regardless of what type of study you chose to use. Clear as mud? feel free to ask me any questions and I will see if I can answer them.

It is not broken down by grades. You basically have a list broken down like I stated above and in front of each item are two blank lines, one for elementary and one for Jr high/High school. You can date when each item is covered or you can just check them off. So all of the math topics are listed under different topics but not by grade or age. Does that make sense?

thowell, It sounds really great! Did this come recommended to you by someone? I'm just trying to find out if this lady is qualified to make such a wonderful list? Does that sound bad? I don't mean it to. But if I'm going to gauge my "coverage" of topics I'd like to know it's a reputable source, you know? Thanks so much.

thowell, It sounds really great! Did this come recommended to you by someone? I'm just trying to find out if this lady is qualified to make such a wonderful list? Does that sound bad? I don't mean it to. But if I'm going to gauge my "coverage" of topics I'd like to know it's a reputable source, you know? Thanks so much.

I can't remember where I heard it from! What I can tell you is that there is so much in this that there is no possible way you could cover all the topics in there. I think what she did was compile a list of everything you could think of in each subject. For example, in the different periods of history there is a section for culture and foods of that period or area. She covers learning different religions in different parts of the world. Have you looked through her website really good. There is a huge sample on there and you can see how she suggests using the checklist to pull unit studies together if you choose. I do not have time for unit studies right now but when I did it was a great resource. Now, I really just use it to see what area we still need to cover. I do have to say that you can not let it make you discouraged if you find topic after topic that you have not covered. You must PICK AND CHOOSE> I would suggest that you take a really good look at the sample before you decide. The PDF is much cheaper but if you don't have a good printer that is cheap copies it will kill you on ink. I think it is over 400 pages.

• 4 months later...

I've been searching through some thumb drives that I have pdfs saved on. The History Scribe notebooking pages match up with a lot of the history topics. I think I might use some of them.

I haven't done much notebooking with students as I don't spend a lot of time with tutoring students on content, but...with this checklist...I can see some of them wanting to start a notebook.

I wonder if there is something similar for science?

If you are meaning a topic list for Science that is in the checklist also. As far as notebook pages to go with the Science I am not sure but please let me know if you find it. I have the Scribe pages also and I think that would be a wonderful idea. I had also thought it might work well with the Creek Edge Task cards.

If you are meaning a topic list for Science that is in the checklist also. As far as notebook pages to go with the Science I am not sure but please let me know if you find it. I have the Scribe pages also and I think that would be a wonderful idea. I had also thought it might work well with the Creek Edge Task cards.

Yes, notebook pages. StudyStarters aren't too bad. I found these on one of my thumb drives.