Menu

need 5 or 6 craft projects for preschoolers

I need some craft projects (engaging, but not too messy) that I can take to the ILs. We'll be going there once a week, and things go better if we have planned activities.

Can anyone help with craft projects that are:

- engaging enough that the kids are happy to finish them before the box of toys is brought out

- long enough to take up a good chunk of the time (a project with steps is good, especially if coloring is one of the steps - or maybe a couple of related projects around a theme)

- not too crazy, with 4 kids (ages 1-4)

- not too messy, since we'll be at someone else's house

- educational is always nice! (e.g., caterpillar to butterfly theme, spring bird's nest theme, etc.)

I think play-doh or watercolors might be ok, if guided. That's as messy as I'd want to get, though. I thought I'd plan about 5 or 6 of them for now. Tomorrow is the first day, so I wanted to gather materials today.

Thanks! I'm not so good at crafty things... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by mudboots
cutting unnecessary info

I always do better if I have a theme to start with when planning prek activities. THen I check out www.activityvillage.co.uk and www.1plus1plus1equals1.com to see what ideas I can go with.

Some favorites that are simple

Egg carton caterpillars. Cut an egg carton so that you have 2 rows of "cups", and flip them over. Use markers to color (since you don't want pain) glue on wiggly eyes and pipeclear antenna.

MAc Tac stained glass, Place clear mac tac on the table stick side up, decorate with torn tissue paper top with another peice of mac tac and cut to a shape you want and attach a thread to hang it.

You can do stained glass with shaved crayons, wax paper and an iron

Hand print & Cotton ball lambs. Trace hand onto brown construction paper cut up and point the fingers down. cover the palm with cotton balls to be the body, draw a face on the thumb.

Make Lion masks out of paper plates.

Leprechaun traps (if starting this before st. pat's) Just decorate shoe boxes, then at home the night before st. pat's set out the traps, the next am the kids find glitter sprinkled around and a gold coin or two in their trap.

Anything for Easter, so you can make bunny paper plate masks, or find coloring sheets for eater things, or make a paper bag bunny puppet

I need some craft projects (engaging, but not too messy) that I can take to the ILs. We'll be going there once a week, and things go better if we have planned activities.

Can anyone help with craft projects that are:

- engaging enough that the kids are happy to finish them before the box of toys is brought out

- long enough to take up a good chunk of the time (a project with steps is good, especially if coloring is one of the steps - or maybe a couple of related projects around a theme)

- not too crazy, with 4 kids (ages 1-4)

- not too messy, since we'll be at someone else's house

- educational is always nice! (e.g., caterpillar to butterfly theme, spring bird's nest theme, etc.)

I think play-doh or watercolors might be ok, if guided. That's as messy as I'd want to get, though. I thought I'd plan about 5 or 6 of them for now. Tomorrow is the first day, so I wanted to gather materials today.

Thanks! I'm not so good at crafty things... :tongue_smilie:

A good bit of time....for under 4yo? I would say, 15 minutes tops is the attention span of most 1-4yos. DS17 wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes, he never liked crafts.

Instead of crafts, I would maybe look at what items you can use to make activities with.

Maybe a mini sensory box for each with beans/rice/peas etc if the littlest won't eat them. Using measuring cups from the kitchen etc and letting them pour them back and forth.

Shaving cream on a cookie sheet to smear around. (cheap shaving cream is a dollar a can) My dd5 loves to play with shaving cream in the bathtub. Then the mess is just washed down the drain. This isn't the best for babies, it burns in the eyes.

Pudding inside a gallon freezer zipper bag to smoosh, lay flat and draw on. This one is good for the littles. Incase the pudding escapes, there is no problem if they eat it.

Goo/slime type putty on a cookie sheet with little animals and beads to play with. (dollar store item) This can be reused a few times so it isn't too expensive.

I don't know what these are called but they are fun for little kids. Take a small plastic soda or water bottle. Put in some cooking oil to about 1/3 full. (the clearer the better). Add some glitter and a bit of light beads. Then fill the rest of the way with water tinted with food coloring. Seal the lid tight (I glue them on with super glue or craft glue). When you shake the bottle the oil layer and the water layer 'dance'. Then they have a toy, not just the activity afterwords.

Popsicle stick puppets. Cut out various shapes and glue to Popsicle sticks to make puppets. I use coloring book pictures and then use my scanner/printer to print onto card stock. I let them color and then cut them out (easier to color). They glue them on.

I am always amazed how much kids like color and then glue little things to Popsicle sticks. Shiny gemstones, google eyes etc.

Oriental trading company has a lot of premade kits that are already cut out and all you have to do is glue them. They also have A LOT of supplies like sequins, beads, google eyes, pompoms, Popsicle sticks, and gemstones for cheap.

A good bit of time....for under 4yo? I would say, 15 minutes tops is the attention span of most 1-4yos. DS17 wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes, he never liked crafts.

Instead of crafts, I would maybe look at what items you can use to make activities with.

Maybe a mini sensory box for each with beans/rice/peas etc if the littlest won't eat them. Using measuring cups from the kitchen etc and letting them pour them back and forth.

Shaving cream on a cookie sheet to smear around. (cheap shaving cream is a dollar a can) My dd5 loves to play with shaving cream in the bathtub. Then the mess is just washed down the drain. This isn't the best for babies, it burns in the eyes.

Pudding inside a gallon freezer zipper bag to smoosh, lay flat and draw on. This one is good for the littles. Incase the pudding escapes, there is no problem if they eat it.

Goo/slime type putty on a cookie sheet with little animals and beads to play with. (dollar store item) This can be reused a few times so it isn't too expensive.

I don't know what these are called but they are fun for little kids. Take a small plastic soda or water bottle. Put in some cooking oil to about 1/3 full. (the clearer the better). Add some glitter and a bit of light beads. Then fill the rest of the way with water tinted with food coloring. Seal the lid tight (I glue them on with super glue or craft glue). When you shake the bottle the oil layer and the water layer 'dance'. Then they have a toy, not just the activity afterwords.

Popsicle stick puppets. Cut out various shapes and glue to Popsicle sticks to make puppets. I use coloring book pictures and then use my scanner/printer to print onto card stock. I let them color and then cut them out (easier to color). They glue them on.

I am always amazed how much kids like color and then glue little things to Popsicle sticks. Shiny gemstones, google eyes etc.

Oriental trading company has a lot of premade kits that are already cut out and all you have to do is glue them. They also have A LOT of supplies like sequins, beads, google eyes, pompoms, Popsicle sticks, and gemstones for cheap.

:iagree:

Sensory bins are a huge hit at this age. I currently have a st. pat one on the go, have my easter ones made and prek's here are currently digging in fake snow as a sensory activity

For none messy but fun ones, put some colored hair gel, or finger paint, or pudding, or any slimy type product, add glitter etc if you want. Then seal the bag closed with duct tape. LEt the kids "write" in it, squish it around etc. It makes a very cool no mess sensory activity

Thanks for all the ideas! How do people think of these things (like the awesome Caterpillar-Turned Butterfly)?! :) I have several now that I want to do.

I think I'll go with the "Garden Plans" for tomorrow. MIL loves teaching kids about gardening. That would go over well, and I wouldn't even have to go to the craft store.

And probably the Cotton Ball Lamb next week - I also have everything I need for that!

I'll have to give the sensory options a try. Two of the kids are almost five, so I tend to gear things toward them. It might be good to help them do their projects while the younger kids play with pudding-in-a-ziploc. Much easier for me, too! :D

Oriental trading company has a lot of premade kits that are already cut out and all you have to do is glue them.

Thanks for this! I've been looking for seasonal craft kits that are ready-to-go. - And I love the idea of having popsicle puppet materials ready to go for any time. Super easy.

Edited by mudboots