Menu

Couple MCT Island Questions

For MCT Grammar, Sentence, and Practice Island what do I need to order? Do I need the teacher manuals, and student books for all three? Also, do most of you use this LA program alone or with another program like R&S?

GI, preferably both, but at at least the TM (my D wrote in her copy)

SI, just the teacher manual

PI, definitely both

you didn't ask, but...

Poetry, TM

Building language, TM

We also use WWE

and a spelling program

Edited by acrosier
clarity

Grammar Island You can get by with just the TM if you work around the few pages where the answers are given away. I had both and felt it was a bit of a waste.

Sentence Island TM only.

Practice Island Both, unless you or the child is willing to write out 100 sentences in the proper format for 4-Level analysis. Some people use these for handwriting/dictation practice. I like having the student practice book.

Music of the Hemispheres TM

Building Language TM

Bill

I found this interesting at the MCT forums (FAQ files):

Should I buy the student books or the teacher manuals? The fundamental starting points of the curriculum are the student books. These are for your child to read and reread, to explore and enjoy on his or her own.

At the first levels of the curriculum, some parents have found success using the teacher manuals only, as the full text of the student manual is also in the teacher manual, so parents determined to save money could do so (at some cost in pedagogic value) by giving their children the teacher manual. However many found that the downside was a loss in the number of activities available for their children as follow-up. Ideally, use both student and teacher manuals.

Michael Clay Thompson:

When I write, I look in my imagination through the student's eyes, and I always imagine the student turning the page, to see what is next. On every page I try to put a good element, a surprise, either visually or intellectually. I want each page to turn lights on and make the student want to know more.

Then I write the teacher/parent manual, and I try to put things on most pages that will help the teacher ask questions about the page, or provide additional knowledge about the content. In the teacher section I usually include discussions about the strategies and pedagogy, as well as exercises, activities, and answer keys. A key to this is that many of these teacher sidebars or bubbles, while propelling the teacher, would ruin the page for the student. In many cases there are Socratic questions, or comments to make, that are designed to instigate intellectual interactions between the student and the teacher/parent about the content. Such things are defeated if the student can simply read them, seeing behind the scenes, and making the conversation with the adult less necessary. I think it is a disadvantage to have only the student book or only the teacher book.

Should I buy the student books or the teacher manuals? The fundamental starting points of the curriculum are the student books. These are for your child to read and reread, to explore and enjoy on his or her own.

At the first levels of the curriculum, some parents have found success using the teacher manuals only, as the full text of the student manual is also in the teacher manual, so parents determined to save money could do so (at some cost in pedagogic value) by giving their children the teacher manual. However many found that the downside was a loss in the number of activities available for their children as follow-up. Ideally, use both student and teacher manuals.

Michael Clay Thompson:

When I write, I look in my imagination through the student's eyes, and I always imagine the student turning the page, to see what is next. On every page I try to put a good element, a surprise, either visually or intellectually. I want each page to turn lights on and make the student want to know more.

Then I write the teacher/parent manual, and I try to put things on most pages that will help the teacher ask questions about the page, or provide additional knowledge about the content. In the teacher section I usually include discussions about the strategies and pedagogy, as well as exercises, activities, and answer keys. A key to this is that many of these teacher sidebars or bubbles, while propelling the teacher, would ruin the page for the student. In many cases there are Socratic questions, or comments to make, that are designed to instigate intellectual interactions between the student and the teacher/parent about the content. Such things are defeated if the student can simply read them, seeing behind the scenes, and making the conversation with the adult less necessary. I think it is a disadvantage to have only the student book or only the teacher book.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Michael Clay Thompson:

I hate to have a difference of opinion with Mr Thompson (who has "hero" status with me for writing such terrific books) but if one is reading through these books one-on-one (in a "snuggle-time fashion) it is a pain to have a TM that you need to suddenly swap for an almost identical Student book, and then switch back. It breaks a Socratic flow much more than "side-bar" notes (ones than my child scarcely notices).

Sometimes *I* will intentionally point out Mr Thompson's questions in the TMs (crediting Mr Thompson) as items he believes are worthy of discussion. I don't see any need to hide the source of these questions or trying to pretend there is no "behind the scenes."

I like Mr Thompson's ideas and comments. I have no problem discussing them as his ideas.

Were one teaching a room-full of students, as opposed to one-on-one "snuggle-time," then Student Books would make total sense. But for home education I think they are more trouble than they are worth.

Bill

I hate to have a difference of opinion with Mr Thompson (who has "hero" status with me for writing such terrific books) but if one is reading through these books one-on-one (in a "snuggle-time fashion) it is a pain to have a TM that you need to suddenly swap for an almost identical Student book, and then switch back. It breaks a Socratic flow much more than "side-bar" notes (ones than my child scarcely notices).

Sometimes *I* will intentionally point out Mr Thompson's questions in the TMs (crediting Mr Thompson) as items he believes are worthy of discussion. I don't see any need to hide the source of these questions or trying to pretend there is no "behind the scenes."

I like Mr Thompson's ideas and comments. I have no problem discussing them as his ideas.

Were one teaching a room-full of students, as opposed to one-on-one "snuggle-time," then Student Books would make total sense. But for home education I think they are more trouble than they are worth.

Bill

:iagree: and this is how I handle the side-bars, too.

Bill

Thanks, that makes sense.