Menu

Struggles at the end of AAS 2

ByGrace3

We were supposed to move onto AAS 3 this week but my 2 yo great nephew is staying with us for the week and I decided to put that on hold. I went to review the last 2 steps of AAS 2 with her yesterday (she really struggled with these when we did them and we spent a lot of time on them), I thought she had gotten it and we moved on. Well, not so much apparently. She is a rules kid, likes the rules, thrives on it, part of the reason she has done so well with AAS. The last two steps of AAS 2 are the first real struggle we have had going through the program. I know it because for the first time the "rule" isn't a real rule. (It is AW/AU and OW/OU btw. She gets it right every time if it is at the end of the word, she knows the rule. ;) So what do I do? I don't want to move on when she still mixes them up sometimes, but I am unsure in how to help her get the spellings to stick. We have tried writing them, spelling them orally, using tiles. She does get a lot of them, but I do fear she is guessing on some. But I definitely don't think she is close to mastering the lists. My fear is that this is the beginning of things to come. I mean, spelling rules don't always apply.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I don't know any off the top of my head, but I would try to find books that use these words... Or maybe you can print out your own funny stories incorporating them. I think really the only way to 'get' these words that don't have rules is by seeing them often.

I agree with Kristen about the child needing to see the words through reading. Is your dd a big reader?

My oldest dd was a very strong reader (about 5th grade level) when she started AAS in first grade, and my youngest was a beginning reader. I noticed a big difference in their ability to sort words for lessons like the ones you mentioned. The older dd had probably encountered the word ground dozens of times in her personal reading. She would instantly recognize grownd as incorrect. Younger dd may never have read that word, and certainly wouldn't have recognized one as better than the other.

I kept moving my dds forward, with frequent review of troublesome lessons.

She is a pretty good reader, probably about a 3rd/4th grade level? She doesn't love to read on her own, but I am working on that :)

I wondered about moving on or not. . . I think we will review this week and just keep plugging along. I guess I am just worried that this will be the new normal as the rules get trickier. . . :001_huh:

I wondered about moving on or not. . . I think we will review this week and just keep plugging along. I guess I am just worried that this will be the new normal as the rules get trickier.
My ds 10 is just finishing AAS 4, I just wanted to mention (warn?) that there are lessons coming up where there really isn't a rule... ds just finished a lesson on using /ey/ at the end of a word. There's no real rule, it's just learning that there are words that have that as the long /e/ sound at the end of a word, like 'key'. There are several chapters scattered throughout the program where there is not a "rule" per se, it's more exposing them to different spelling options, kwim? Ds doesn't always get it, he still gets stuck sometimes, but there has been such a vast improvement with AAS I know it has been a success for him. I don't spend too long on a lesson, there is built-in review as you go along with the dictation sentences, and I'll remind him of a rule when he gets stuck/makes a mistake as we go along.

Ds is a strong reader, but boy does he have trouble with spelling! I'm convinced AAS has been a good fit for him...

hth!

What I did with DS as we moved on from AAS2 to AAS3 was to modify our schedule to be M-W of AAS3, T-TH was review of things he was still sometimes shaky on from AAS2, and F for review of what we did in AAS3 M-W. As I continue along with this, DS will master the AAS2 material (he's almost there actually) and I'll just continue with this type of schedule to reinforce what he might still be shaky on from the beginning of AAS3 as we continue with AAS3's mid-to-end.

Are you using the word banks? They can be easy to overlook, but they're an important part of AAS starting in Level 2. They're lists of words that follow one pattern or another. There is a word bank for each of these issues, AU/AW and OW/OU. Have your child read it daily as part of your spelling lesson until the issues are mostly straightened out, and then review periodically.