Menu

Living Books Curriculum

Marie131

I have been eyeing this curriculum next year to use w/ my K and 2nd grade kids. I have read some reviews that suggest that some of the books are advanced. Just wondering if this curriculum is true to grade? I want to combine my kiddos next year (w/ separate LA and Math). LBC's website suggests placing combined ages at the highest grade, but I was wondering if it would be better to split the difference and place them both at grade 1. My Kinder kid could probably handle the grade 1 LA, my 2nd grader would have a separate LA program and could probably do some of the reading to my youngers. Thoughts?

I have 1st and 2nd downloads on disc(for sale:D) and I feel like the book lists are fine for the age. They do use some classical type stuff that reads a bit advanced in terms of language but I just interject and explain. If anyone is interested in purchasing I also have quite a few of the books for 2nd grade that I would like to sell as well. :001_smile: PM me

I am using the 2nd grade materials currently w/ my 8 yo 2nd grader. He really enjoys it - but he loves anything having to do with Ancient Egypt. The Pharaoh book I think is a little advanced and it did need some taking it slow and explaining a little. He is a wiggly, all boy type and there is no way he or his middle brother would have set through the books for 2nd grade as a K kiddo. However, my two oldest probably would have been fine. So it really depends upon the dc. If I had two that I was wanting to keep on the same level - with the exception of math/LA - I would probably combine in grade 1. I add in some materials for my 2nd grader by including a few more picture books on the topics bec he is always asking to "see" what is happening.

I have some of the materials for grade 3 and I think there is a bit of a stretch from 2nd to 3rd.

I am not using PLL for my 2nd grader - he was already using Queen's Lang Lsns and I didn't want to change. I used PLL and ILL with my middle dc before we found Queen's - they have all scored well on standardized testing. During their 7th grade years I did have them complete Winston bec I kept hearing that a CM format wasn't adequate for middle and high school.

Keep in mind that CM didn't advocate formal grammar until later and CM advocates learning grammar through copy-work and dictation.

I generally don't cover spelling as a separate course until 3rd or 4th as we consider spelling part of the copywork process. However, at Christmas ds asked for the Spelling through copywork program that Queen's produces so I purchased book A for him. We have been using it - it's again copywork but addresses spelling rules.