Menu

If you use AoPs...

I recently posted about what to do with my son next year for math, as he is finishing up SM6 and, I feel, not quite mature enough for Algebra I. I think I am going to go with AoPS Pre-Algebra. If you use this series, do you teach it on your own or use the online class? I was thinking about the online class, but it only meets in the evening which is not the best for us. I see that there are free videos at their site, so maybe that would be enough support? I'm not math phobic or anything, but it's been a long time since I took math classes myself. How easy is this program to teach? FWIW - my ds is pretty good at reading and understanding on his own.

. If you use this series, do you teach it on your own or use the online class?.

We have been using AoPS for several years (Intro to Algebra, Gemoetry, Intermediate Algebra, Precalculus). We are using the books only. The online class moves extremely fast; we prefer to take whatever time is necessary for mastery.

The books are written TO the student and do not, IMO, require an extra teacher. I recommend that you purchase the solution manual.

I recently posted about what to do with my son next year for math, as he is finishing up SM6 and, I feel, not quite mature enough for Algebra I. I think I am going to go with AoPS Pre-Algebra. If you use this series, do you teach it on your own or use the online class? I was thinking about the online class, but it only meets in the evening which is not the best for us. I see that there are free videos at their site, so maybe that would be enough support? I'm not math phobic or anything, but it's been a long time since I took math classes myself. How easy is this program to teach? FWIW - my ds is pretty good at reading and understanding on his own.

My kids were doing mostly independent work through Saxon 8/7 and Saxon Algebra 1/2 before we moved into AoPS.

They do their AoPS lessons on their own. Every couple weeks, I take a couple hours and work through all of the lessons in a chapter on my own so I can write a chapter test. (While I'd love to do just semester tests like Regentrude, my kids have asked for more frequent spot checks so they find out if they are having problems.)

On the AoPS website, there is a pre-test and post-test for the different books. That could help you decide if your ds is able to go ahead and swing for Algebra. (If he works on his own, he can always use the online problems within Alcumus as additional work if/when he gets stuck.)

Before AoPS we used Saxon (through 8/7) and it was very easy to pace one lesson a day. The pacing of AoPS is different. We have found that for understanding there are some chapters that require more time and others that go quickly. Or put another way-the pacing of each chapter isn't necessarily the same. And as regentrude said--get the teacher's manual.

My son is using the online class. As another poster noted, it moves very quickly. Another thing to know is that there's no audio component to the classes. The class is done through text chat, which means that the child needs to be a good reader or have someone sit with them to help them when they get stuck.

I use the book only. I love the videos, but my oldest has worked through the books before the videos were put out. We've done some of the Mathcounts classes online, so I'm somewhat familiar with the online classes.

The book is written to the student. Some students do it on their own.

My oldest went from SM 5 to AoPS Algebra (he's gifted in math). I read the textbook to my oldest and then he/we work the problems. We've done the Introductory level books and are looking forward to moving on.

My second is in SM6 and will start AoPS PreAlgebra soon. I suspect he'll read the text and do everything on his own unless he has a question. I might have been able to skip SM 6 with him, but I'm worried about the time he needs to mature to understand algebra. He needs to take things a little slower and hit algebra more like 8th grade, which is still early for many.