Menu

Anyone combine TT and MUS?

I have been using CLE and my girls have done well with all the review but they have hit a wall with double digit mutiplication, long division, then decimals, etc. It is going too fast and math time is drudgery here. Even though I supplement with manipulatives they just need more mastery before moving on. That being said, I am going to use MUS as my spine and was thinking about using MM or TT along with it. I love MUS but I have never been able to do it without covering more topics in one year (I did it with my older boys). So I too am interested to see if others have done MUS with TT and what your thoughts are.

I am using MUS Gamma and TT3 for my dd8. We didn't start TT3 until January. My dd did the complete lessons for the first 14 or so because it was a novelty but then lost interest. I have moved her along by having her just watch the lecture of each lesson and only do the actual lesson problems if it is a new thing for her. She does do the Quizzes every 7 lessons and when she starts getting less than 100% I will see about slowing down and having her complete the lessons too. We have just started cd 4 of 4.

I do think TT3 explains things very clearly. I do like it but I'm very glad I was able to borrow it from a friend because I would have hated paying $100 for her just to fly through it! I got it because I believed it was more "public school-y" and might have certain concepts in it needed for standardized testing since we do the testing under a public school umbrella. It might in later grades only has had one thing so far.

Otherwise, I do love Steve Demme and MUS's mastery approach. (with the exception of his teaching of multiple digit multiplication with carrying..see other thread..lol)

So far I have been able to borrow TT4 and 5 but if I didn't already have them, I think I might have tried Mathematical Reasoning from the Critical Thinking Co for a second "test-preppy" type curriculum.

I do not try to coordinate the lessons at all but I might as we get into more involved math. I do plan on using MUS through gradeschool and TT for Algebra and higher math. I may continue with MUS too. We'll see when we get there.

Hope this makes sense.. my brain is not back up to full power.

I have one using Epsilon and TT 7. One in Gamma and TT 4. And one in Beta and TT 3. On a normal day they do a lesson in TT and one page (front and back) from MUS. If we need to have a short day they just do one. We skip pages in MUS if they have a topic mastered. They watch all of the MUS lessons but will skip all pages of a lesson if I KNOW they don't need it. They skip all MUS tests. They do all TT lessons and Quizzes. They are each working in TT one level above grade level.

This has worked perfectly for all until recently. My middle dc has gotten to where he is getting frustrated because he does not have his multiplication facts memorize and it greatly slows him down in TT. So we may take a break from TT and focus on memorizing those with Gamma. Then we will get back into TT.