Menu

How do you make sure your dyslexic..

How do you make sure your dyslexic child...

has all he/she needs for academics, personal growth, and overall confidence with their "gift". How hard do you push with academics? Have you read any informative books that have helped you?

At this point it really doesn't seem to bother ds10 about his issues with reading. I have noticed him avoid any reading if in groups but sometimes he tries if in a small group. I haven't really discussed in very much detail with him until today about why his has a problem with reading but told him that there have been very prominate people in our history that had dyslexia. That they were very smart but just had to learn differently. I want him to be challenged but not feel like he can't do it. If something is challenging he shuts down and argues about having to do the work.

I was told it would be better to post this here. A few op wanted to know if was has beed tested. He has had an evaluation from the ps special ed office and although it's not an offical diagnosis all indications show that he is dyslexic with ADD tendencies. I am planning on having him tested through a dyslexia center this month to get official results.

Check out this current thread on dyslexia. We've been listing favorite resources on the topic.

If your son is already shutting down when presented with challenge, it might be helpful to get a third party involved in teaching him reading & writing. My biggest regret is that I didn't get my son professionally assessed before he reached the end of 2nd grade. I knew from the outset that he was likely dyslexic. I had taught another of my children who has language-based learning challenges and had learned so much from teaching her that I thought with patience and persistence my son would eventually get there too. Wrong. Similar difficulties but not the same. By the time I gave up and got him assessed when he was 15yo he had a long habit of shutting down when presented with difficult tasks. Professional reading/language therapists helped him to learn how to respond to challenge more appropriately and that has carried over into the work he does at home (which is now parent-assisted homework since he started in a classroom this year).

That's great that you're working on testing! Couple more questions. One, have you tried any reading instruction methods that are OG (Orton-Gillingham) based? Two, have you had his eyes checked? Sometimes these kids have several things going on, and eyes can be one of them. It's one of those easy things to eliminate. You go to a developmental optometrist (not a regular one, you want the developmental optometrist) and have them do just a regular eye exam. They check the regular stuff and screen for a few extra things. At our place it costs $60-100, just like an exam anywhere, but it lets you know if eyes are part of the problem. You wouldn't be the first for whom it would be. ;)

COVD is where you find the developmental optometrist. I'm not saying the eye thing cures dyslexia (the perpetual controversy here). I'm saying that some kids who have this problems ALSO have eye problems. And obviously fixing eye problems (ability to focus, converge, track, etc. etc.) makes the input better which makes the visual processing better which in turn improves everything that relies on visual processing. It's a pretty common problem in these kids and worth checking.

How long have you been homeschooling? What have you tried so far? There are lots of OG-spinoff programs. Barton has a free pre-test you can do on their site. What is the dyslexia center you're thinking of using? If it were me, I would want a full neuropsych eval to know the specifics and get the labels nailed down. A dyslexia tutoring place can't diagnose the ADHD and can't get the ball rolling on accommodations. Some people have said around here, don't know if it's true, that for college purposes they want to see the paperwork started now and see a paper trail. But if the center has a neuropsych who can do a full eval, then you're covered. Just something to ask. Nothing worse than paying for one eval and realizing you need/want another on top of it, kwim?

Welcome to the boards, btw. Ask all the questions you want and make waves. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

We are using Recipe for Reading and Apple and Pears (for spelling). We aren't very far into either program. Recipe for Reading is supposed to be a OG program. I have only had his eyes checked by a regular optometrist and that has been a 2 years ago. Just recently with the evaluation done the administrator didn't not see and visible eye problems. I will check into it further.

This is my second year to homeschool. We pulled the boys out when ds10 at the end of 2nd grade. The test center is at a college. I do not know the extent or depth of their testing. This is where they referred me after the evaluation.

Edited by cherylw

My 12 yo dyslexic began Wilson tutoring at the beginning of 2nd grade. Outside of handwriting sheets, he's always done the same work as his peers, which include all classroom assignments, memorization, and homework.

Presently, his accommodations include using a calculator for math, word processor, and the teachers have always made allowances for spelling in assignments, outside of spelling tests and writing assignments. He averages 90s or above in every class except grammar which is 83.

Class is far easier than homeschool for us. DS has to stay focused with me. He can drift or do whatever in a class of 25-30 students. When the working memory is taxed, individuals start to shut down or act out. My son turns inward. At home, I limit teaching a new concept to 10 minutes. We take frequent breaks and use a timer to keep us on track. He listens to books on tape and sometimes uses text to speech software.

I've read and used the following books: The Dyslexic Advantage, Overcoming Dyslexia, How the Brain Learns Mathematics, and a couple of book by Ronit Bird.

DS has healthy self esteem. We've always stressed that this is a condition that he was born with. He reads fluently aloud. DS volunteers with us at church. We try very hard not to make an issue out of dyslexia. His LDs certainly don't define him and he's popular, loving and kind. Quite frankly, compassion is his real gift.

Edited by Heathermomster

• 2 weeks later...