Menu

BF Geography Through Literature Age Question

vwsmith

Currently, my son is doing homeschool Kinder with a strong emphasis on Montessori and a bit of Ambleside literature for Year 0 added. Therefore, the Geography we have done thus far is Montessori-based with puzzle maps, pin maps, etc. He loves it. He knows and can label all the continents, countries of N. America, S. America, and is currently working on Europe--I have no doubt he'll have the rest done in short order (though we take it at a pace he sets for himself).

Our plan is to use Ambleside Online as our main curriculum in the Fall supplementing/replacing as we see fit. Because he loves Geography so much, I was little disappointed that AO only has Paddle-to-the-Sea for Geo. Then I found BF Geography Through Literature. I ended up purchasing the guide through the swap board and am waiting to receive it.

Here is my question. According to BF, the grade range begins for 3rd grade. Do you think we could start it in 1st? OR do you think I could start with Paddle-to-the-Sea in 1st grade (as that's what AO does) and use the rest of the guide for 2nd grade(AO lists Seabird and Tree in Y2)?

Would love to know your insights. Even though we started HS'ing last Sept. I still feel so green.

I have this guide...

Do you have the maps (4 very beautiful and large maps) for the books? They sell them at BF. I bought the combo which included the maps and the guide.

I'll type some samples from the guide...

Paddle to the Sea-

Lesson 9

1. Read Chapters...

2. Color and label the St. Lawerence River, ... and more

3. Color and label the states Vermont, New Hampshire... and more

4. Color and label the Gulf of St. Lawrence and ...

5. Do some research on Jacques Cartier and .... Print recordings in notebook.

(I left some of the details out of these samples...didn't want to violate any of BF guide)

Tree in the Trail-

Lesson 7

1. Read Chapters --- of Tree in the Trail

2. In glossary define rendezvous

3. Draw a sketch of a Conestoga Wagon from Chapter---. Color and paste on outer edge of map or notebook.

4. Trace a route on map of the Cimarron Crossing. Label on key.

5. Draw a buffalo. Color and paste on map or in notebook. Do some research on buffalo. Record findings in notebook.

I hope this helps...

I personally have waited with my dds to use these books because they are so filled with much information. I also admit I wanted them to be old enough to make the maps nice.:lol: They were a little pricey. :001_smile:

I haven't had a chance to type them yet, but I have Book Notes to go along with Paddle to the Sea. They will be on my blog as soon as I can type them and put them up. I am planning on my younger dd to read Paddle to the Sea next term. I will use the BF guide for the map work only and my Book Notes for our study of the book.

Also, Homeschool Share has reallly nice notebook pages to go along with Seabird.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com

I personally have waited with my dds to use these books because they are so filled with much information. I also admit I wanted them to be old enough to make the maps nice.:lol: They were a little pricey. :001_smile:

This is exactly what I'm wondering. I don't want him to miss out on something great b/c it's a bit too much for him at the time. Perhaps we'll just continue on our Montessori way in Geography and wait. Thanks loads for the samples--that really helps!

And yes, I had every intention of buying the maps, but like you wanted them to be a bit nicer than I know he's capable of currently :D

I read my kids the books when my daughter was in first grade and my son was four. We are going to redo them this coming year with the maps for my son's 4th/5th grade geography. He's older than the recommendation now but really wants to do this as a fun "extra".

They are amazing books that can be read over and over again so I wouldn't worry too much about that. There is no way my son could have done justice to the maps any younger than this coming year (he has dysgraphia). I think it would be a bit tough for the typical first grader. Even my daughter at that age would have been frustrated by her inability to get it "just right."

Sorry I'm rambling. Bottom line, if you want to read the books, go for it. I'd suggest you wait on the guide/maps until your son is a bit older though.