Menu

MFW vs. TOG

bethben

Just wondering...I'm a person who is leaning toward the more academic side of Classical Education. While I do appreciate Charlotte Mason and her ideas, I tend to want to go more academic. We are doing MFW right now and while I love it, I'm wanting it to be more rigorous in the writing components mostly and the books they read. I'm finding myself adding a lot of rigor to MFW to make it what I like. I am drawn toward Veritas Press, but really don't see how it could work for multiple aged kids. We like unit studies around here.

So...I'm not scared of planning (I kinda like it in fact) and am wondering if TOG would be a better fit. Also, you just include science and math with it correct?

Beth

Just wondering...I'm a person who is leaning toward the more academic side of Classical Education. While I do appreciate Charlotte Mason and her ideas, I tend to want to go more academic. We are doing MFW right now and while I love it, I'm wanting it to be more rigorous in the writing components mostly and the books they read. I'm finding myself adding a lot of rigor to MFW to make it what I like. I am drawn toward Veritas Press, but really don't see how it could work for multiple aged kids. We like unit studies around here.

So...I'm not scared of planning (I kinda like it in fact) and am wondering if TOG would be a better fit. Also, you just include science and math with it correct?

I don't know a thing about VP so I can't say anything about them. BUT TOG certainly is the things you are saying you want - more rigorous in terms of writing and books they read, more planning as well. It's not open and go there is a bit of planning. At the ages of your kids, it need not be much.

I do have to say, I switched because my oldest was in 7th g at the time and wondered when we would be doing history when we were 10 weeks into CtG. If my oldest had been 8 or 9, I don't think I would have felt the need.

I've added science, math, spelling, and Bible study. (If you are doing yr 1, you read a lot of the Bible, but you don't study it. The other years appear to have church history but again not Bible study.) I'm not using their art b/c I had purchased God and the History of Art with MFW.

Do you "need" a seperate Bible curriculum? That's a thing I like about MFW - although the Bible is lite, it does make an impact. I'm not really liking the science with MFW - I always want to add a bit more. So, I wouldn't mind getting a seperate science curriculum - the Bible I like to be integrated. Does TOG have integrated Bible history and God's view of the world?

Beth

There isn't a Bible study per se. In Year 1, you cover the Bible in the course of history. In Year 2, you cover church history. Their approach to history is through a Christian worldview, so it's in there.

TOG also uses a lot of the same books VP literature does.

You need to add science, math, grammar, and spelling.

I use TOG's integrated writing and like it very much as well.

Pam,

I have recently order TOG Year 2 for next year (two lower grammer, 1 upper grammer and 1 dialectic). We have Balancing the Sword and have only just begun to use this as a family. Is there a logical way to coordinate Balancing the Sword with TOG Year 2 or even the Explorers Bible Study? What do you recommend on integrating the study of Year 2 with a personal Bible study?

Renee