Menu

French Translation Help Please...

Kfamily

My younger dd and I are using a storybook we found at the library (the only one like it) as copywork and translation work. This book is written in French and with no translation. She and I worked on the first page together, and while we were able to translate most of it with what we do know already of French and a dictionary, there were some areas we couldn't work out.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get in this area. I recently ordered several dual language books, so hopefully we can do more of this and I'll have the translation available to me.:lol:

Here is the first page:

Note...I can't include all accent marks...I hope that won't make this too hard...

Le Bon Lion

Il y avait une fois un lion qui etait tres heureux.

Il n'habitait pas la grande plaine africaine ou le chasseur feroce se tient a l'afflut; ni la jungle torride ou le serpent venimeux se cache sous le tronc mort.

Il habitait une belle ville grise aux toits bruns.

Il avait une petite maison pour lui tout seul avec un jardin de rocailles entoure d'un fosse d'eau, dans un beau parc ombrage.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Kfamily

I cheated. Google Translate is your friend. Here's a rough translation. I'm sure you can figure it out though:

The Good Lion

There was once a lion who was very happy.

He lived not in the vast African plains or the ferocious hunter has held the afflut; jungle or scorching or poisonous snake hidden under the dead trunk.

He lived in a beautiful gray with brown roofs.

He had a small house for himself with a rock garden surrounds a pit of water, in a beautiful park shading.

My younger dd and I are using a storybook we found at the library (the only one like it) as copywork and translation work. This book is written in French and with no translation. She and I worked on the first page together, and while we were able to translate most of it with what we do know already of French and a dictionary, there were some areas we couldn't work out.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get in this area. I recently ordered several dual language books, so hopefully we can do more of this and I'll have the translation available to me.:lol:

Here is the first page:

Note...I can't include all accent marks...I hope that won't make this too hard...

Le Bon Lion

Il y avait une fois un lion qui etait tres heureux.

Il n'habitait pas la grande plaine africaine ou le chasseur feroce se tient a l'afflut; ni la jungle torride ou le serpent venimeux se cache sous le tronc mort.

Il habitait une belle ville grise aux toits bruns.

Il avait une petite maison pour lui tout seul avec un jardin de rocailles entoure d'un fosse d'eau, dans un beau parc ombrage.

Thanks so much!

I'm rusty but...

There once was a very happy lion (literally, a lion who was very happy)

He didn't live on the african plain where the ferocious hunter holds sway (is held in esteem?), or a scary jungle where venomous snakes could catch and kill him.

He lived in a pretty gray town with brown roofs.

He had a little house all to himself with a rock garden and water fountain, in a beautiful shaded park.

Ugh...I feel so old.

Edited by Sneezyone
Duh, skipped a phrase