Menu

Times Tales Question

spaceman

Are children who use times tales to memorize times tables (assuming they understand multiplication first) able to be as fast as children who memorize them by rote?

I know it will vary by the individual student, I'm trying to determine if introducing this method will hinder some students from developing automaticity. And, if it would hinder some: how many and what type of learner.

Thank you!

It is a good question. I know my son was not able (over a 6 month time period) to remember any times tables at all (other than 0-2's, and 10 and 11's) until we got Times tales. He now can remember most in under 3 seconds. His speed isn't always great - for just the reason you are concerned about - he is thinking about the story. But for me it was a great alternative to struggling unsuccessfully with flashcards. I love Times Tales (although I have never seen the DVD - we use the flip chart) and am glad we have used it.

Dd8 didn't need to use the stories after a couple of readings through the book. She has known her tables cold for the past 18 months or so. Ds7 has been using TT for a month or so. If he gets stuck on a problem, I'll prompt him on the story (or he'll remember it himself). It shouldn't take him long to drop the crutch the stories provide. In the meantime it takes him 5 minutes to do a multiplication sheet instead of 50. And that is good enough for me.;)

For me, I am just so happy with how it helped dd learn her times tables. I think doing it more with just rote memorization would have bored her to death, not to mention how much more time I would have spent doing it with her. I am not concerned about speed, yet. She just turned 8, so we are fine. I do have go on the Math is Fun site and do a timed multiplication trainer game. Her goal is to fill in the whole table correctly in less and less time.