Menu

Knee Pain

DD has been having intermittent knee pain lately. There was no injury that she can remember but it is a little swollen. She is a competitive dancer and first experienced pain at a competition, but not when she was dancing, it was during down time. In fact, there really doesn't seem to be any correlation with activity. And the pain is intense (the blood seems to drain from her face) but it doesn't last very long, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Does this sound like anything any of you have experience with? I have not taken her to the doctor yet because I was hoping it was mend itself, but she has had attacks of pain about 6 times in the last week. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I had knee pain last year but was training for a marathon at the time. I was diagnosed with IT band issues and a physical trainer helped a LOT!!! He showed me how to run. Believe it or not, I was doing it wrong. He also gave me exercises on how to strengthen the other muscles.

I have no idea if that is what is your dd's pain (where is the pain, BTW - back, side, front, etc?), but maybe ask for PT.

Well she is having trouble localizing the pain and will only describe it as "in the knee." She did tell me yesterday that there are times when it hurts a little (feels like a strong pinch), times when it hurts a lot ( feels like it's going to break and can't stand on it), and times when it doesn't hurt at all. I'm taking her in.