Menu

Testing Questions

Element

I just had a couple of basic testing questions.

Regarding Ds8:I am not required to test ds but I think it would make me feel more confident about our first year of homeschooling. I am considering the ITBS. Would there be any benefit to CogAT testing if ds has already taken the WISC-IV?

Regarding Dd: The only WISC-IV test administrator we can afford (the same one we used for ds 2 years ago) still does not use the extended norms test version, which was kind of an issue for us 2 years ago. Is there any reason to have dd tested, since she is going to be hs'd anyway? I am really leaning against it, but I wanted to hear what the Hive thought about it.

Edited by Element

What are you looking for in testing your older child? Confirmation that he learned something? You already know that. He is going to do amazingly well on either of the tests you mention. I don't know that you will get information you don't already have.

I don't know about testing the younger one either. It doesn't sound like it would be very helpful at this point.

But, regarding the extended norms and getting a potentially more accurate score on the WISC test that your son took earlier, if you have the raw scores you can ask the people at GDC to compute the new score for you.

Here is the web page about how that works.

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Extended_Norms.html

Extended Norms on WISC

I hope this helps.

What are you looking for in testing your older child? Confirmation that he learned something? You already know that. He is going to do amazingly well on either of the tests you mention. I don't know that you will get information you don't already have.

I don't know about testing the younger one either. It doesn't sound like it would be very helpful at this point.

But, regarding the extended norms and getting a potentially more accurate score on the WISC test that your son took earlier, if you have the raw scores you can ask the people at GDC to compute the new score for you.

Here is the web page about how that works.

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Extended_Norms.html

Extended Norms on WISC

I hope this helps.

Thank you! The information regarding the extended norms is very helpful indeed. As to why I would have ds tested, you're right. I'm looking for confirmation that he learned something. Sometimes it seems like he remembers nothing at all. He forgets simple things like subtraction with regrouping and adverbs. It can be frustrating, and I was just looking for a little outside confirmation that he has progressed academically.

IME, no, unless you need a score for access to a program. In my kids' case, the CogAT was not only not helpful, it tended toward dis-information rather than information, lol.

Thank you for sharing your experience. That is helpful to know! I was afraid of that.