Menu

Anyone use SWO and MCP Plaid Phonics together?!

CarrieF

My second son (8 yo)has been doing ETC for phonics practice and he enjoys it. No complaints at all. However, we also use SWO for spelling and I just "discovered" (always a little late to the party!) that SWO correlates to MCP Plaid Phonics. Wow, what a concept! Having spelling and phonics working together?! :D

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has used these two together, and if so, how do you like them together? Also, would it be absolutely redundant/overkill to keep ETC and add in MCP Phonics?!

My son is a bright kiddo, but he has no "bent" toward language arts. He is willing to do his lessons, but struggles with reading fluency, remembering spelling rules, etc. He is my math, history, and nature-loving boy. : )

Looking for some Hive Wisdom here! :001_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by CarrieF
ETA: clarification

I did start with them both, because it seemed like a great idea. The problem I had was that MCP was too writing intensive for my dd. But we did it for K, because she could already read, but if were were doing it for 1st grade, it might have been different.

MCP has less writing than ETC in my opinion. It was too spiral for me though. MCP A just spent like 20 pages on long vowels and moved on. That was not enough for my DS to even begin to get the concept. I like how ETC really covers a topic thoroughly. Also, I have heard that MCP and SWO are so similar that they are overkill together. I haven't used SWO though so I can't really speak to that.

We do both. It's quick and effective. Good phonics reinforcement,word usage practice. Very cost effective. I bought the spelling TE it gives the correlating Plaid phonics lesson. You could definelty match up the lessons yourself if you wanted.