Menu

Khan Academy questions..

Blessed with seven

IIRC, you don't have to have a Google account to *use* it, but if you want to be able to track how your children do over time, each of them needs one, and so do you. You sign up and add their accounts as your students. The only ways to log in are through fb and google, and both have age requirements, which the national news articles seem to conveniently ignore when they're reporting on schools that use Khan as their primary math program...:001_huh:

The age requirement for a Google account is not really a problem.

The Google accounts my kids use are MINE, not theirs. Google allows you to create multiple accounts for one user. I did give them names that they might well want to keep when they get older, at which point I will transfer the accounts to them by the simple expedient of allowing them to change the password.

There is nothing at all wrong with my kids using MY Google account, which is quite legal. It is possible for schools to do the same thing; to request that parents create a Google username and permit their children to use it. The child does not own the account, so now rules were broken.

I do still think the rules are kinda silly :). As my children's parent, I think I can make decisions for them are mine to make, not those of some company (or more to the point, decisions of some litigious idiot who wants to sue Google because they failed to supervise their kids on the computer, so Google had to make nanny-state type rules). But since Google did have to make rules that infringe on parental authority, I will abide by them and not grant the kids ownership over their accounts until the appropriate age. Until then, this arrangement works perfectly, breaks no rules, and harms none.

Okay...so..if I don't really need to track their progress because we are just using as a supplement, do we have access to all the same stuff as if you were to get an account?

I haven't used it yet so I am clueless at this point.

Kim

If you don't make an account, you can watch the videos. If yoi do make an account, you can track your progress, view your practice records, have administrative powers, etc. In shorts - creating an account isn't necessary, but well worth it.

Okay...so..if I don't really need to track their progress because we are just using as a supplement, do we have access to all the same stuff as if you were to get an account?

I haven't used it yet so I am clueless at this point.

Kim

Yes, you still have the same access as anyone else. Your kids can just go there and practice what they need to. I actually like that we're all set up on there so that my kids can set goals, plan their lessons, earn "points" and other stuff. I can look and see where they've struggled, where they've done well. I really like the statistics I can see for my kids. YMMV.

~coffee~

Yes, you still have the same access as anyone else. Your kids can just go there and practice what they need to. I actually like that we're all set up on there so that my kids can set goals, plan their lessons, earn "points" and other stuff. I can look and see where they've struggled, where they've done well. I really like the statistics I can see for my kids. YMMV.

~coffee~

I agree -- I'm really a convert after some struggles with it in the beginning. (My son was doing it totally on his own and was getting really frustrated. Now that he's doing it next to me and I can help as needed, that's gone away.) I love that it tracks progress and prompts with review questions. My kids are mildly motivated by the points and badges and avatars too.

My 8YO was SO jazzed at earning a badge for sticking with it for a year today! More exciting was the persistence badge, for mastering a topic that had been giving him difficulty.

My 11YO lies to see all the stars lit up, indicating all the topics he has mastered. He likes to push himself and try topics we haven't covered yet.