Menu

4th grade reading program suggestions

Zebra

I haven't done any "formal" reading program with my dd up to this point. She just reads books. I'd like to do something more formal for 4th grade. I don't want to do narrations, and I don't want to just discuss the book with her.

Originally I thought I would use CLE reading, but I want to use real books. I also want more discussion of the book, vocabularly etc. Maybe unit study-ish or lapbook-y(those are real words....right....:lol:). I have looked at the Progeny Press guides, and they are about the only thing I can find that seems close to what I want.

So basically, for those of you who use a reading program (but not something like CLE or BJU), what are you using and enjoying for 4th grade?

Have you looked at Blackbird and Company literature guides? I bought one this year for my 3rd grader, and I am very happy with it. Each one is designed to be completed in five weeks. You could use this for some or all of your literature study.

I also choose books from Veritas Press, Ambleside, and Sonlight reading lists which I have the kids read aloud to me for about 15 minutes per day. It is good to help the kids practice reading aloud because it is a lot different than reading silently. They learn to read slowly, enunciate well, read with expression, pause at the commas and periods, etc.

This is good http://www.amazon.com/Suppose-Wolf-Octopus-Michael-Bagley/dp/0880922486

I use Scott Foresman reading with the teachers resource book. It reviews comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, spelling etc for the stories. I'm actually using the 4th grade level now, it has one student text, one teachers book with the review pages and answer key. Mine is a 2002 version though. You can find the most current one on the Pearson site.