Menu

K'er is "bored"

We have hit the "I am bored" stage. When I ask her how is school or what happened at school she always says it is boring and that they do the same stuff over and over and that she already knows it.

We are currently doing MM1a and OPG at home. Will first grade be better for her? I am worried that the "I am bored" stage is going to continue to follow us in first grade.

We have hit the "I am bored" stage. When I ask her how is school or what happened at school she always says it is boring and that they do the same stuff over and over and that she already knows it.

We are currently doing MM1a and OPG at home. Will first grade be better for her? I am worried that the "I am bored" stage is going to continue to follow us in first grade.

Ugh. "I'm bored" can mean sooooo many things. But if you are looking for things to do with a Kinder, I have a K-1 Summer Bridge page on my blog that might be helpful. Good luck!

Ugh. "I'm bored" can mean sooooo many things. But if you are looking for things to do with a Kinder, I have a K-1 Summer Bridge page on my blog that might be helpful. Good luck!

I am assuming that since she has specifically stated "we keep doing the same things all over again" she means that she isn't being challenged. She LOVES what we do at home........

There is a huge leap from K to 1st grade. First grade is more exciting and "grown up" than Kindergarten, for example.

Granted, even the 21st century "K" is not the same Kindergarten you and I remember from our days as a child. Many Kindergartens have the students sit in a desk and do seatwork like 1st grade. I am curious about the boredom, however. It is common to have early "Spring Fever" sit in at this time of the year for both students and teachers. (I used to teach K grades back in the stone age.)

Spring is just around the corner. Most Kindergarteners celebrate Jan/Feb with the 100th day of school by now, the circle time gets old, eating lunch by themselves as a grade level is boring, playing by themselves away from the big kids is lame, and a bright child like the OP's may be biting at the bit for glorious stuff -- hopefully not quite like Ramona of Beverly Cleary fame -- where Ramona caused hijinks in Kindergarten. ;) Is she seeing the older kids do things that intrigue her? Like outdoor class projects or school assembly performances that she wants to do? Or is it only academic?

I would do the afterschooling for now. Wait 'til the Fall quarter in 1st grade (after the parent-teacher conference and report card) to determine placement or homeschooling. I would not request a grade level promotion so late in the year. It usually is done in the first 2-3 months of school. Talk to your child's teacher and see if there is a possibility for this promotion. Maybe she can help advocate for you? Maybe your dd can sit in on reading or math lesson in a First grade classroom -- while being a Kindergartener? It has been done before (rarely). Pulling her out of the class is not that big of a deal if she already is familiar with the K lesson. Students get pulled out of class for speech or other situations that no one would bat an eye over it or make fun of her. I've done this for gifted students -- but it was the parent's decision if the child could handle it. Many parents with this issue either continue to afterschool or homeschool.

Work with her over the summer. Take her on field trips. Begin a family project. Does she have an interest or hobby? You may discover she may delight in being in First grade as she gets to mingle with the "older" kids at recess and lunch times. It sounds like you are doing a good job of afterschooling at home!

Edited by tex-mex

There is a huge leap from K to 1st grade. First grade is more exciting and "grown up" than Kindergarten, for example.

Granted, even the 21st century "K" is not the same Kindergarten you and I remember from our days as a child. Many Kindergartens have the students sit in a desk and do seatwork like 1st grade. I am curious about the boredom, however. It is common to have early "Spring Fever" sit in at this time of the year for both students and teachers. (I used to teach K grades back in the stone age.)

Spring is just around the corner. Most Kindergarteners celebrate Jan/Feb with the 100th day of school by now, the circle time gets old, eating lunch by themselves as a grade level is boring, playing by themselves away from the big kids is lame, and a bright child like the OP's may be biting at the bit for glorious stuff -- hopefully not quite like Ramona of Beverly Cleary fame -- where Ramona caused hijinks in Kindergarten. ;) Is she seeing the older kids do things that intrigue her? Like outdoor class projects or school assembly performances that she wants to do? Or is it only academic?

I would do the afterschooling for now. Wait 'til the Fall quarter in 1st grade (after the parent-teacher conference and report card) to determine placement or homeschooling. I would not request a grade level promotion so late in the year. It usually is done in the first 2-3 months of school. Talk to your child's teacher and see if there is a possibility for this promotion. Maybe she can help advocate for you? Maybe your dd can sit in on reading or math lesson in a First grade classroom -- while being a Kindergartener? It has been done before (rarely). Pulling her out of the class is not that big of a deal if she already is familiar with the K lesson. Students get pulled out of class for speech or other situations that no one would bat an eye over it or make fun of her. I've done this for gifted students -- but it was the parent's decision if the child could handle it. Many parents with this issue either continue to afterschool or homeschool.

Work with her over the summer. Take her on field trips. Begin a family project. Does she have an interest or hobby? You may discover she may delight in being in First grade as she gets to mingle with the "older" kids at recess and lunch times. It sounds like you are doing a good job of afterschooling at home!

She is in afternoon Kindy. As previously stated I think ALOT of her problem is she is bored because everything they are doing she already is solid in. She has mastered all the K sight words and already knows 1/2 of the first grade words. Her lst report card stated she "meets" everything and when I asked the teacher about maybe doing some first grade work she was not supportive at all. My husband wants me to give first grade a chance until the winter break then re-evaluate. If DD had her way she would do math all day long.

:)

In the same boat with my Ker.

For our older, we found 1st grade much more differentiated than K. The teachers really worked to provide challenge for all students. In first and second grade, they know that kids are all over the map in reading and math ability. At our school, they work hard to work with them at their level. It changes back to group instruction in 3rd grade, which has been very frustrating for our older student.

I would keep supplementing at home. I was getting frustrated yesterday about how ds5 was bored during the math time I witnessed, but then I remembered it took all of 5 minutes and he was happy with the rest of his afternoon. Not challenged, but enjoyed being with his friends and the other activities.

When we talked with our K teacher about sending ds to 1st grade for reading, she said she could have accommodated that in the morning class, but not in afternoon. Most schools concentrate reading and math instruction in the morning, so that might be the reason your teacher wasn't willing to accommodate.

When we talked with our K teacher about sending ds to 1st grade for reading, she said she could have accommodated that in the morning class, but not in afternoon. Most schools concentrate reading and math instruction in the morning, so that might be the reason your teacher wasn't willing to accommodate.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: