Menu

Math/Reading for Kindergartener

MrsBanjoClown

My 5yo is very math-oriented. He mentally works out addition and subtraction problems like 11+6 or 11-3. I'm not sure if I should jump into Singapore 1A with him or go ahead and do Kindergarten math. He is in Pre-K at the ps this year but we are hs next year. He is also beginning to read. He is reading through the I See Sam series and is on book 25. What would you recommend for him for next year?

We like RightStart. I would buy Level B, not Level A, though. (I've had both.) As for Singapore, I'd just do the placement test. http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm

Have you looked at Miquon as well?

As for reading, just keep going. Let him choose books that he likes, but don't forget to read to him as well. I honestly don't think you need any formal reading program/language arts at the Kindy level. The Sonlight book lists are great--you can look at the various levels and see which books he might enjoy.

I'd also add some sort of handwriting program for Kindy--although be forewarned that some boys have trouble with writing (which is one of the reasons I liked RightStart for my Kindy.) I really loved Hanwriting without Tears--as did my kids. If price is an issue, you can get buy with just the books....and just have your kids form the letters from playdough, pipe cleaners, or whatever. The songs on the CD are great (IMHO)...and at the Kindy level...the teacher's guide is worth it (to me).