Menu

Milk Allergy - using baked milk is ok now

Ds8 is allergic to cow's milk, but his levels are lessening. They dropped significantly in the last 2 yrs. So recently, the dr gave us the ok to have him eat baked goods with dry milk powder in them. Ds has had no reactions at all, even with having more than one muffin a day.

If you're familiar with this process, I'd like to know if it's ok to just use regular milk in the baked goods instead of the powdered milk w/ water. I realize it might depend on the recipe b/c too much liquid wouldn't work. But I'm just wondering if there's a difference. I haven't found any info online, so if you have links, please share.

Also wondering when it will be ok to bake with butter...

My boys are both allergic to milk and our test list has butter being first.

Butter

cooked yogurt

cooked powdered milk

hard cheese

uncooked powdered milk

uncooked yogurt

soft cheese

cream

whole milk

skim milk

But at this point the toddler reacts when I have any dairy and older DS has no desire to try any, so we haven't started reintroduction. Based on my list, butter should be okay if powdered milk is.

• 2 weeks later...
My boys are both allergic to milk and our test list has butter being first.

Butter

cooked yogurt

cooked powdered milk

hard cheese

uncooked powdered milk

uncooked yogurt

soft cheese

cream

whole milk

skim milk

But at this point the toddler reacts when I have any dairy and older DS has no desire to try any, so we haven't started reintroduction. Based on my list, butter should be okay if powdered milk is.

Thank you for this list. Very helpful!

Since he's been eating muffins with baked powdered milk, I decided to go ahead and try cookies made with butter...and he had NO REACTION! I am so excited to be able to bake with butter again!!

Since he's been eating muffins with baked powdered milk, I decided to go ahead and try cookies made with butter...and he had NO REACTION! I am so excited to be able to bake with butter again!!

Oooh... lucky! I'm envious.

Congratulations!

:party:

It's an intolerance if you can handle baked dairy products, not a true allergy. Also be aware that while symptoms might change, it doesn't mean that it is not affecting the body. It can cause damage in other, less visible ways.

Although milk allergy is one that is often outgrown.

And I've read that cooking changes the protein (of dairy) so if you're allergic in one form you may not have the allergy in another. So that would still be an allergy and not an intolerance.

I'm interested if you have other info... We do avoid dairy in all forms because it's still a pretty severe allergy.

From FAAN here:

Fact: A food allergy is an immune system response to a protein in a food. The protein remains in the food during heating, therefore, you cannot make a food less allergenic by cooking it. The exception to this is sometimes seen with egg and milk allergy; some individuals with egg allergy are able to consume egg or milk that has been extensively heated and in smaller amounts, such as in baked goods. Ask your doctor before trying this. Also, many people with allergy to raw fruit/vegetable based upon having hay fever (pollen allergy) tolerate the heated forms.

(bolding mine)

Yes, I understand that there is a difference between a milk allergy and a milk intolerance. The symptoms of an intolerance differ from allergic symptoms.

For ds, it is a true allergy. He's been diagnosed by several of the top allergy doctors. However, he seems to be outgrowing his allergy. Previously, he could not have any baked milk products. This is all new for him. His numbers have drastically decreased over the last 2 years for both milk and peanuts. Not banking on him outgrowing the peanut allergy, but I'm so pleased that he is outgrowing the milk allergy as it affects his diet much more.

Not banking on him outgrowing the peanut allergy, but I'm so pleased that he is outgrowing the milk allergy as it affects his diet much more.

And thus my envy... the tree nut allergy is the one that gave us an anaphylaxis, but the dairy allergy is the one that affects our day to day life so much more.

If you can handle dairy in baked goods, you might be able to eat out more! Makes travel much easier.

My son's worst dairy reaction (before we learned to get REALLY good at reading labels) was to a roll.

So... :party: for you guys!

How old is yours?

My 7 yo had a severe dairy allergy until she was 2.5 as confirmed by our ped allergist. Her skin test came back negative when she stopped reacting visibly. Before she had bleeding welts head to toe, projectile vomiting, the whole 9 yards. Then nothing, almost overnight. A few months after adding dairy back in, she stopped growing. Her thyroid stopped working and it took us 3 years to figure out what the issue is. Her endo said it's possible that her immune system was just so stressed from the severe dairy allergy and then her visible symptoms disappeared (leading us to believe the issue resolved), that it crashed her system. So just be aware that it CAN cause other issues, even if it doesn't appear to cause other problems. I also have a dd with cashew and peanut allergies. I haven't had those doctor confirmed for insurance reasons :glare: but the symptoms are obvious enough. Scary stuff. Nuts are one thing I don't want to test my luck in re-introducing.

My 7 yo had a severe dairy allergy until she was 2.5 as confirmed by our ped allergist. Her skin test came back negative when she stopped reacting visibly. Before she had bleeding welts head to toe, projectile vomiting, the whole 9 yards. Then nothing, almost overnight. A few months after adding dairy back in, she stopped growing. Her thyroid stopped working and it took us 3 years to figure out what the issue is. Her endo said it's possible that her immune system was just so stressed from the severe dairy allergy and then her visible symptoms disappeared (leading us to believe the issue resolved), that it crashed her system. So just be aware that it CAN cause other issues, even if it doesn't appear to cause other problems.

Thanks for the info. Nasty! :grouphug:

My son was diagnosed with a dairy allergy at 3 months. We carried Epis after the roll reaction with whole body hives and were very glad to have it when he had the cashew anaphylaxis. Bi-phasic too :(

We never had any testing done since his reactions were clear until last summer when we had skin tests done. Still saw major dairy reactions, so he may not outgrow his dairy allergy.

And our allergist retired... so we're meeting with a new one tomorrow.

Blech.