Menu

Start TOG now or use Time Travelers to get through the year?

redquilthorse

We are at a point in our history study where we just started 1800. We are using a textbook that isn't working well for us. I am thinking of starting Tapestry of Grace Year 3 now, but I wonder whether it is too late in the year. I could just use Time Travelers Early 19th Century to get us through the year and re-evaluate for next fall. Is there even any comparison? My school aged kids are 1st and 4th. I have 3 more coming up behind them. Any advice is appreciated!

We are at a point in our history study where we just started 1800. We are using a textbook that isn't working well for us. I am thinking of starting Tapestry of Grace Year 3 now, but I wonder whether it is too late in the year. I could just use Time Travelers Early 19th Century to get us through the year and re-evaluate for next fall. Is there even any comparison? My school aged kids are 1st and 4th. I have 3 more coming up behind them. Any advice is appreciated!

With the ages of your kids I was just finish the year with what you have and then pick up in the fall with which ever unit you have reached "time-wise." I would not bother backtracking with grammar students.

IMO, while I love TOG for dialectic and above, there are a lot of curriculum that get the job done (introducing history) at the grammar level. I'm sure the one you are using is fine.

With the ages of your kids I was just finish the year with what you have and then pick up in the fall with which ever unit you have reached "time-wise." I would not bother backtracking with grammar students.

IMO, while I love TOG for dialectic and above, there are a lot of curriculum that get the job done (introducing history) at the grammar level. I'm sure the one you are using is fine.

:iagree:

Next year would be an excellent time to start TOG.

I'm going to disagree with the previous posters in that yes, other curricula may get the job done, but I think the upper grammar level is excellent, and I think the variety of options and suggestions for activities, as well as the teacher aids can't be beat. I suppose it depends on how serious you are about history. If it is not your favorite subject, then TOG may be too much. For us it is the heart of our homeschool.

We love Time Travelers here too but I would not use it for 1st to 4th graders. I'd recommend keeping it simple and just reading a spine and adding in some books that go along with the time periods.

I used Time Travelers this year with a 3rd and K. They did just fine with it and really had a blast with all the activities. I obviously adjusted the difficulty and expectations down for my K'er but the 3rd grader had no trouble with it at all. I suppose it will depend on the child.

If you want to start Year 3 now, then why not? If you had wanted to start in the middle of a year plan, I might say, wait until you can begin at the beginning of the year.

Just don't expect to finish the plan this year. Just do however many weeks, you would have and then finish, or do one unit and do three next year. It'll work.

If you want to start Year 3 now, then why not? If you had wanted to start in the middle of a year plan, I might say, wait until you can begin at the beginning of the year.

Just don't expect to finish the plan this year. Just do however many weeks, you would have and then finish, or do one unit and do three next year. It'll work.

:iagree: In fact, that sounds like a wonderful idea. I would love to be ahead of the game at this point...I would love to stop at the end of unit three and be done for the year, but we have one more unit to go after this. This curriculum is packed! We have never covered more or worked harder (in a good way) in our school before.