Menu

DS wants to learn the recorder

Mallorie

(Suzuki and Orff recorder teacher here).

Yamaha, Aulos, or Peripole. Peripole is the easiest to play in the lower registers, and is therefore what I recommend for Suzuki recorder, Yamaha and Aulos are both more consistent through their registers, but are harder to voice in the lower register, and therefore work better for methods that begin with the middle range.

My favorite non-Suzuki recorder book (and Suzuki is NOT something I'd recommend unless you yourself play and read music quite well) is "Do it! Play Recorder", because it includes a lot of theory, ear training, transposition, and improvisation from day 1. Sweet Pipes and Orr are both good for adults who already read music, but move too quickly for most kids. I love the Sweet Pipes consort books, though.

My favorite supplements for beginning students are Recorder Karate and Dexter Dragon's Recorder adventure, which both have online content and playalongs. Dexter dragon is easier-his first song only involves 1 note. Both are great for co-ops, since they're designed for teachers and are copy-permissible, buy once, use for all your students programs, and are, for the same reason, a little expensive for use for one child at home.