Menu

Another "help me pick language" thread

misidawnrn

DD will be in 3rd grade next year. This year we are using ABeka for language and I have just added in Winning with Writing and the free from the internet Scott Foresman Grammar worksheets. I am looking for next year's planning and I have already ordered ABeka's language for 3rd grade but now I am thinking of ditching it. GWG and WWW cover stuff in the beginning of the year that ABeka doesn't get to until the end of the year. I have read a lot of things that ABeka is good for K-2 but lacking for upper grades.

I don't want to leave DD behind by using ABeka. I don't want to push her either but she is understanding nouns, verbs, etc. We also do fun things like we made a lapbook describing them,etc.

So, should I use ABeka with GWG and WWW or do you think GWG and WWW are fine to use on their own. I think ABeka would be just more busy work and wouldn't reinforce the other 2 since the pace is slower.

Or, should I bag it and use something completely different? I used FLL for 1st grade and we both thought the format was not for us.

Thanks for any insight.

DD will be in 3rd grade next year. This year we are using ABeka for language and I have just added in Winning with Writing and the free from the internet Scott Foresman Grammar worksheets. I am looking for next year's planning and I have already ordered ABeka's language for 3rd grade but now I am thinking of ditching it. GWG and WWW cover stuff in the beginning of the year that ABeka doesn't get to until the end of the year. I have read a lot of things that ABeka is good for K-2 but lacking for upper grades.

I don't want to leave DD behind by using ABeka. I don't want to push her either but she is understanding nouns, verbs, etc. We also do fun things like we made a lapbook describing them,etc.

So, should I use ABeka with GWG and WWW or do you think GWG and WWW are fine to use on their own. I think ABeka would be just more busy work and wouldn't reinforce the other 2 since the pace is slower.

Or, should I bag it and use something completely different? I used FLL for 1st grade and we both thought the format was not for us.

Thanks for any insight.

Although I'm not a big fan of ABeka, I don't think I could imagine a child being left behind because she did ABeka. :confused:

The only thing I think ABeka is lacking is writing assignments. Those are in the teacher's curriculum (which, you understand, is not the same as the teacher edition or an answer key), which most hsers don't get because they don't need the classroom management stuff that is in it (of course, those whose dc do on-line/DVD ABeka courses don't need it, because the classroom teachers are using it, and they're giving the writing assignments). I would never supplement ABeka's grammar with anything.

If you want to use GWG and WWW, do that. If you want to do ABeka, do that. Don't try to do both.

Thanks, Ellie. I am familiar with the lesson plans for ABeka. I am just concerned that ABeka doesn't cover the stuff until the end of 3rd grade that other programs cover in the beginning. When other programs do it at the beginning of the year, perhaps that is a better way to go. UGH picking is so hard. Thanks for the advice.

• 2 months later...

Abeka's grammar is advanced. I don't like the way they teach writing (my fab is institute for excellence in writing), but their grammar is good. The only thing I have found that compares (from reviews) is Shurley. I would like to know how well other curriculums do on usage (Abeka DRILLS correct usage!) and every day skills. i.e. dictionary skills, business letter formats, etc.