Menu

Literature-based learning? FIAR?

BrandonMommy

I've been trying to find a literature-based language arts(y) curriculum or guide to use with my soon to be K age DD. I love literature-based learning and themes. We're currently doing activities with our favorite books in what I *think* is a similar fashion to what little I've read about FIAR.

My plan, so far, for her KG year is to take the classics or most used/loved pre-K and K books and create units or themed activities around them. I go through their most favorite books now over and over to come with different cross-curricular activities and tie in as many activities I think my DD would find engaging and interesting.

So, can you tell me if FIAR is like this and would I benefit from using it supplementally? Is there anything else out there that's similar to what I've mentioned?

I don't feel like I'd be a stickler for following any one curriculum strictly. I like to pull from different resources and make a lot of my own. I can be picky but I'm also a busy mom would could use some additional ideas. What do you think?

I think FIAR would work fine for what you want. We started out Ariel's K year using it as the primary curriculum, but it became more of a supplement as time went on. Another resource that you might find interesting is Peak With Books. It's similar to FIAR, but uses more different books and activities.

I used FIAR with my ds's, (my oldest is now 17). The loved literature based learning when they were younger. I think you will find FIAR a fun resource to use, but I also think you are going to want it more as a supplement. FIAR Introduces the book, where it was written, the author intention and itl will also tell you the setting of the book if it is an real life location. Then it is broke down in secions Science, history, math, so on... under each heading you will find activities.

HTH

Yes, that sounds like FIAR. FIAR takes different books and stories and has you read them every day for 5 days (some people wiggle this a bit.We started with 5days but then dropped it down to 3.) Anyway, they have activities and ideas for different areas for each book: geography, art, history, grammar, etc. What I found great was all the online resources of neat things to add to it.

I blogged about a few of our FIAR experiences here if you want to see it.

We use FIAR as a supplement, and we are really enjoying it. We also love literature-based learning here and I pull ideas from these two books in addition to FIAR: Social Studies through Children's Literature and Science through Children's Literature.

Have fun!

Thanks for mentiong the other books - I just put them on hold at our library! We use FIAR and love it:)