Menu

Another CW question...

Tamy

I purchased CW Aesop A last year but never used it. Even though I have about 9,000 writing programs on my shelf, I'm constantly drawn back to CW.

Anyway, my ds is 10yo and I've finally decided to start him with Aesop B (which I've just ordered). My question (finally) is, is it possible for him to get through Homer A and B next year...or would that be too much to expect? I'm trying to keep him on track so that he will make it through all of the CW books by the time he's finished with 12th grade.

Thanks for any and all input. I think this is only my second or third post on the new board. I'm mainly a lurker who wishes she had more time to post on other things, but I do appreciate the wisdom and sage advice from the people of this board.

Thanks again!

Tamy Davis

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

My 11 year old (10 when we started at the beginning of the school year) will have completed Homer A and most of Homer B this school year. That includes an 8 week break to work on grammar. If I was really motivated, we could finish during the summer no problem.

So, the short answer is yes! The long answer is, some people find it difficult to stay on schedule with One Writing Project per week, and they instead spend 2 weeks on each lesson. We haven't found it difficult at all to stay on schedule, but I'm pretty confident teaching writing and grammar. My son, however, is not a natural writer. So, my experience is, with a teacher willing to stay on top of things, Homer A and B can be completed in one year with an average student.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but this my experience with the program. Oh, and we LOVE it, by the way. I used to teach Freshman Composition in a university, and CW Homer has my son writing more complex sentences than most of the college freshmen I taught.

I started dd on Aesop A right after the Christmas break. She is doing so well, I wonder I should have started with B. She grasps the concepts and wants to do extra work. I am glad she is enjoying it! At this rate, we will finish Aesop A this year. If Aesop B is like A, then I would think it could be done in a semester as well given the right set of cirmcumstances (motivated student, great grammar background, etc).

I was hoping we could get through Aesop B and move into Homer yet this year, but I'm not going to push it.

Holly, I've read all of your posts about starting your child with CW...your posts are what have made me rethink CW. You didn't know what you started...didya? :D LOL!

Thanks for your help!

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

We did not start Homer A until mid-year in 5th grade, and are just wrapping it up mid-year in 6th grade. I had hoped to "catch up" to the CW schedule, but just isn't going to happen. We spend two weeks on each lesson, otherwise our workload is too great.

Although he actually could manage the A&I and the writing project simultaneously, it really helps him to have a week's break inbetween A&I.

Homer A & B in one year, while possible, will be rigorous. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you don't have to spend 4 weeks on each skill level. The IG and workbooks are structured this way, but if your ds has mastered a level in 2 or 3 weeks, you can move on. (There's more stuff about this in the Core Manual.)

If you are using the IG and want to skip a week, you may need to make some adjustments, because they spread the lessons out over a 4-week period, so skipping a week may have you miss a lesson, unless you make a point of covering that lesson with the next model.

I hope I wasn't too confusing!