Menu

Blood sugar questions

I went to the dr end of last month he did a blood sugar test on me and said it was 79. Also that he was worried it was so low. But doing some online reading that tends to fall in the normal range. Or am I reading wrong. Well he has me checking it off and on. The highest I have been is 166 the lowest being 76. Usually it stays in the high 70's to the low 90's. Only once was it up high.

So my question is, is this a normal range? What is considered low and what is considered high?

Thank you for any help.

79 is a normal fasting or pre-meal level. Having most blood sugar measurements fall between 70 and 100 is not worrisome at all. It is completely normal.

Do you recall the details of that 166? What had you eaten, and how much time was there between eating and testing?

If your doctor is still concerned, ask for a hemoglobin A1C measurement. That gives you a rough idea of your average blood sugar level over the past 3 months. It should put to rest any worries.

It was 3 hours after eating mid day when I hit that 166. He told me to test after eating, before, and many different times during the day. So, that one was a non fasting.

I was thinking my numbers were perfectly normal also. I will have him do a A1C. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hmm...that surprises me. 166 three hours after eating is not normal for a non-diabetic. By then you should be well under 120. However, your other numbers don't suggest a problem.

In the future, anytime you get a really odd reading, be sure to use a second strip to verify. Sometimes if the strip is not filled just right, you can get a really wacky number.

In case you weren't given any guidance, typical times to measure include first thing in the morning, 1 hour after eating, 2 hours after eating, before/after exercise, and just before bed.